Thursday, November 17, 2016

Dear Charlie:

Well, it's been a year since I posted here. The last post was something I felt very keenly -- my 12-year-old niece receiving a dick pic and a carnival of adults and loved ones (myself included) not being able to do a damn thing to stop or even call out the offender -- so I wanted to leave it up for a while to make sure the point carried.

Now, well... let's just say I feel a lot of things very keenly right now.

I'm tempted to delete all prior posts except the last one and start over. You can see that I've cleaned up my sidebar and cut down my profile to the bare minimum. No cutesy stuff. No tongue-in-cheek.

I don't feel very tongue-in-cheek lately. We have some real problems here in the States and around the world, and while I usually use humor and sarcasm to deflect argument and strong emotions so everyone around me has as good a time as possible, I don't think now is the time for silliness.

So, I think this blog will be, at least for now, repurposed. Instead of writing about random stuff happening in my life, I think I'll try to corral some of my thoughts on what's happening in the world and what I/we can do to protect the people who will be most negatively impacted by the ignorance and anger that allowed the current status quo.

Think of this reboot as part journal, part call to action (for me), and part meta on the real world. I doubt anyone will be reading this (except my beloved sister), and those who do probably won't take it seriously. And that's okay. It's for me, not the rest of this country and certainly not the rest of the world. Everyone will have their own strategy to get through.

I just... I'm a writer, okay? I think better in prose. So, I'm going to keep using this blog I've had since 2004, and I guess I won't delete all those prior posts just yet, but I've changed and grown a bit since then. I think we all have.

And I still hope we can all change for the better.

So, while I will indeed watch He Who Shan't Be Named Because His Hands Are Too Tiny crash and burn over and over and over for the next four years, I also want to do what I can to protect those far more vulnerable than I am. People of color. Immigrants. Other women. LGBTQ folk. People of other religions.

I mean, c'mon. This country was supposedly founded on religious freedom, right? Sheesh.

Anyway, once we've done everything we can to ensure our friends and allies are as safe as possible, we can all sit back with a bowl of popcorn and watch Cheeto Voldemort self-destruct in slow motion. It will be glorious.

But not at the expense of people's lives and safety.

Thus, I will be writing plenty of letters and making plenty of phone calls to my representatives. And while I am routinely broke, I will be donating when I can to such groups as the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, the TREVOR Project, etc., and when able, donating in the names of the various bigots Dingleberry Troutface keeps appointing.

They'll get thank you cards. From charities and organizations they hate.

It's win/win, really.

As a great man once said, "I aim to misbehave."

Let it begin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home