Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Dear Charlie:

Turns out, I'm a bad sci fi fan and I never even knew it.

So over the weekend, I got the urge to watch Blade Runner. Happens to us all. Or it should, anyway. At any rate, that's one of the few classics I never picked up on VHS, which means it's one of the few classics I never managed to replace with DVD. My favorite movie place didn't have a copy in, so I called Family Video to see if, by some chance, they had it for rent.

My luck was in. I came home with it a half hour later and popped it in.

Imagine my shock and shame when I realized that... ahem... it turns out I've never actually seen it all the way through. Blade Runner! I've caught bits and pieces of it several times over the years. I know what it's about and all the little pop culture-y ins and outs. Hell, I can quote the Tears in Rain speech!

But as I sat and watched the rental, I realized there were entire chunks that I've never seen before. I'm not talking the difference between an old version and the "final cut" version. I'm talking a good half-hour section where Roy Batty frigid-questions Chew, the eye guy. Never saw that before. I'm talking the whole section where Rachael comes to visit Deckard and explain that she can't possibly be a Replicant because she has memories of her mother and a picture of them together when she was a child.

Et cetera. Et cetera.

Appalled, I eyed my official Nerd Card with great longing as I prepared to tear it right the hell up. Luckily, I stopped myself and hit Amazon to buy a copy on DVD. Just got it today and have already watched it again, just to make sure I didn't miss anything. AGAIN.

Whew. My nerd cred is safe. I can hold my head high again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home