Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Dear Charlie:

I got a Kindle for my birthday. I've wanted one for a while, but... well... money.

Plus, I love my print books. I love the feel of the paper, the weight of it in my hand, the manual flipping of the pages.

But that doesn't mean I don't understand the benefits of having an entire library at the push of a button instead of in the six or so giant plastic totes I have tucked away in my spare bedroom. Heh.

So I'm ecstatic, and I'm reading an e-book my sister gifted me a long time ago that had just been gathering cyber dust on my laptop. It's not that I can't read it on my laptop. Far from it. But it kinda defeats the purpose. Plus, if I'm on my laptop, I'm usually doing something. Multiple somethings, actually.

I can't not multitask. I think I've said this before.

But now I have a Kindle, and it's a very interesting book, and I have hit upon the Kindle's fatal flaw. It's elementary, my dear Watson. It doesn't have a frickin' clock on the reading panel, and since you're not manually turning pages and having a tactile sense of time passing as one side of the book thins and the other thickens, you  have no idea that you're still up and reading at 1:30 in the morning when your alarm will start braying at 6:30.

Curses! I still have to take a shower, dammit!

This... will take some getting used to. Luckily, I'm pretty adaptive. Just... don't ask me tomorrow, because my answer will be grumble-grumble-don't-ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home