Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Dear Charlie:

In looking at my last several posts, it seems I've been all-football, all-the-time. Sorry about that. I just get so excited!

But with my Chiefs out of the running, I'm left with rooting against the Chargers (who are out, ha! suck it, Bolts!) and against the Broncos (sorry, Manning, but I don't like the Donkeys, either), being ambivalent toward the Patriots (again? seriously?), and maybe sort of rooting for the Niners a little more than the Seahawks. I'm just watching for the sheer joy of football, now. Darn it.

But since football season is waning for an agonizingly long time (oh, August, you're so far away!), I guess I should get back to the writing front, where things have been going surprisingly well. I love being in The Zone. It's been a while, and I missed it.

I started a couple of weeks back, working on one of those "meh, I may finish it someday" projects that I haul out every now and then. If I finish it someday, great. If not, that's okay, too. I like it, and it's fun, and it usually lets me get a few words, even in a really low-ebb writing clutch.

And damn if it didn't work.

Because I put it aside to write on another project, and in less than two weeks, I'm up almost 30,000 words. Unfortunately, it's another new project instead of one that needs finishing already, and it's not one I'm sure will ever make it as a "real" novel, so it may never see the light of day even if I do finish it, and 30K is usually where I start to lose momentum (probably because that's usually where that big first act winds down and the grueling second act begins).

So, I'm trying not to be too excited about it, but still. I love being in The Zone. All you want to do is write all the time. You impatiently grind through the work day, desperately grabbing for whatever extra work you can find to stuff into the hours in hopes of making them go faster so you can go home and write write write already. And then, when you get home, you settle in and maybe it's a little tough to get started, but once the words start coming... suddenly, you glance up and it's one in the morning.

Ahem. Like it was when I looked up a bit ago and realized it was long past time to take a bath and go to bed. Yikes. I'll be zonked tomorrow, but man. So worth it for now.

Just... ya know... don't ask me tomorrow. Heh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home