Sunday, November 10, 2013

Dear Charlie:

Yesterday was one of those best days ever.

Went to the boonies for a weenie roast. Finally, right? Me and my beloved sister have been trying to get together for a weenie roast for like two months now. But I had texted Dad to see if he had any extra ground beef he'd be willing to part with -- yeah, I can go to a butcher shop, but Dad's homegrown beef just tastes better -- and he said heck yeah, if I was willing to come down and get it and suffer through a weenie roast. Heheh.

Anyway, when I got down there, the adored brother was there with my nephew. I so rarely get to see them! But he'd come down to shoot some rounds through his new Colt .45, and he graciously let me blow through 5 clips. Woot! I'd never shot a handgun before -- always wanted to and, man, do I ever want a Glock! -- and I'm so not accurate at all with it, but I love it. That's a completely different feeling from firing a rifle. I'm better with rifles, but I'm now a bit addicted to a handgun. Awesome.

Then, Toby and Dad both brought out their deer rifles and let me squeeze off a few rounds there, too. As I said, I'm much better with a rifle. I put four shots through Toby's .270 and three shots through Dad's .243. All seven hit the paper plate targets set out at 120 yards. One of the .270s was just inside the one-inch red circle at the center of the plate. Woot! I could totally go deer hunting!

Yeah, haven't been deer hunting since I was a kid. I discovered early that sitting still forever until a deer comes along is sooooo not my bag. I've never been good at sitting still. Might give it another try sometime, but probably not this year.

Anyway, then Joely and company showed up. My nephew and youngest niece played a little one-on-one basketball while the two older nieces rode horses. Poor Dad had separated his shoulder earlier in the week, but that didn't stop him from saddling up the horses and even working the one who was a little feisty. He resorted to some ibuprofen after he got all the kids occupied, but he didn't finally sit down and relax until we were all chowing on charred hotdogs and cool potato salad. The man is a machine.

We even got to see a very brief fireworks display off in the distance, which was a nice little surprise. And then, when we started on our way back, Dad gave me a whole freaking box of meat. *boggles* I mean, I was hoping for maybe five pounds of ground beef, but I ended up with two roasts, a handful of minute steaks, and probably twenty pounds of ground beef. Woot! I have meat forever!

Add that to the two chickens and a bone-in ham I'd just bought and put in the freezer, and I won't be able to fit anything new in there until January. Ha! Sooooo not complaining!

Anyway, just a great day all around. I love target-shooting (oh! forgot that I also tried a little skeet shooting with Dad's shotgun and I toooooootally suck at it!), I love weenie roasts, I love getting together with my siblings (getting both the beloved sister and the adored brother together is oh, so very rare and precious), and I love love love spending time in the country.

Good day. Yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home