Saturday, November 02, 2013

Dear Charlie:

This really is my favorite time of year. I just had a wonderful day today.

Despite having the dregs of a lingering migraine (bad insomnia week + still dealing with allergies + weird barometric stuff = a blinder of a migraine for Geeb), I got up all ready for the day. I finally got some good sleep, so that probably helped.

Anyway, I put on a pot of chili first off. I'm not usually much for chili. People put weird stuff in it or are determined to make it scorchingly hot, which I think is pointless. If it's too hot to enjoy....

But I've been craving it lately, which is odd, so I decided I'd cobble together my own recipe, and damn if it didn't turn out amazing. It's a little spicier than I thought I'd make for myself (I got a little happy with the cayenne pepper), but with some Fritos, cheese, and sour cream, it's juuuuuust right.

I'd promised my friend Annie that I'd come over to her place and tell ghost stories to her Boy Scout troop tonight, so at around 5:00, I put on an extra layer and headed out. What a beautiful drive! Annie lives out in the boonies -- ya know, where I want to live because I grew up in very similar boonies and miss them -- so the drive was a combination of that perfect blue of an Autumn sky and all the blazing reds and oranges and yellows of the changing foliage. Gorgeous. Just beautiful.

And, while I'm not much for kids, I gotta admit that I had these ones eating out of my hand. Annie started a huge bonfire, and while her husband took half the kids on a hayride behind his tractor, I told some ghost stories I made up or cobbled together from local lore or from stories I've read. It was lots of fun to watch the kids go from, "Oh, this old lady can't scare me" to "Wow... so does the bloody cheerleader appear all the time? Or just when it's foggy?" and "Tell another one! Tell another one!"

But more rewarding still? I even had the adults crowding around. That's a good feeling. This older gent got so involved when I told the one I'd made up about the skeleton of a long-dead miner trying to claw through someone's basement walls that he actually squawked when I told how, as the husband took a sledge hammer to the wall, a stream of black, stinking water came squirting out of the first break in the concrete. Heheh. Good times, good times.

Then, the second group of kids took the hayride and I got to tell to a whole new group. It was darker, and these were mostly older kids, so I got a little more in depth. Mwahahah!

I also somehow managed to convince some of them that demons are attracted to campfires -- that's where all the people are, duh! -- so they have to put their glowsticks in the bushes around the perimeter to keep the demons at bay. I think an entire Boy Scout troop will now do that any time they have any kind of fire outdoors. Heheh.

Anyway, then I came home, had some more chili, and am watching movies. Currently, I'm enjoying Young Frankenstein for like the millionth time. It never gets old.

Such a good day. Even though the migraine's creeping back in, I'm calling it a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home