Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Dearest Charles:

I've been wishing to have this news to post for a long time. So here goes:

I GOT A DAY JOB!!

Yay!

I feel like I've been let out of jail. I've been in SUCH a bind this past couple of years (or longer), but things just opened back up. I'll be able to get back out on my own. I'll be able to do more community theater. I'll be able to go to the movies again! Man, I've missed that!

Full time with benefits, and that ain't no cabbage in this job market. Back amongst friends, people who wanted me back enough to put in lots of good words for me, which is a different kind of awesome. And at higher pay, which is so awesome I can't even find the words for it. And I kinda do that for a side living, so you know it's big.

Things are looking up. Finally. Oh, man... I'm just so relieved.

Now, I can finally look ahead. I feel like I've been living from paycheck to paycheck for so long that I forgot what looking ahead felt like. Now, I'll actually have some wiggle room. I can think about maybe finishing up my teaching degree (in a few years, taking night classes, hoping the all the current teaching mess is cleared up by then). I can think about all the books I'll finally finish and get sent off to sink or swim in the market. Heck, maybe I can finish the two scripts I have lyin around and see about sending them off, too. I love me some movies.

I can think about things I haven't dared to think about before because I wasn't financially stable enough to even dream about better.

No one knows what the future holds. I'm not Nostradamus. I dunno if I'll love this job or not. All I know for sure is that I'll be back with some good people, it pays well, and it's an absolute answer to prayer on so many levels.

I'm trying to sit here calmly and take deep breaths. It's working, for the most part. I know I shouldn't be so excited about a simple job.

But....

Yeah. After the last year and a half, almost two years? I'm excited. Nobody can take this feeling of impending freedom away from me. I feel like I've been walking the Green Mile this whole time, only to be told just before they sit me down in Ol' Sparky that I've been fully pardoned.

The upward swing starts Monday. I'm back, baby! Woot!

3 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Anonymous S.J. Noir said...

Totally feelin' you. I'm lucky enough to be in a position where-even though I'm in a bind and jobs are hard to come by- my family is still living comfortably. So I can totally understand you getting excited over a job. And once again, Congrats!

Wouldn't have guessed you were interested in teaching. My sister teaches a kindergarten class, I have no idea how she does it. Patience, that one. It somehow skipped me.

OOO, Molly! You write scripts? That's so cool. Are they about Zombies?! I'm only half kidding with that question. :D

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Katie said...

That's awesome news! There is absolutely nothing like knowing you have security and a regular income and the freedom to do things like go to the movies and have the occasional day off. I hope it all goes well for you.

Also, you have to work next Monday? Are there no public holidays for the Easter weekend over there?

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Ugh. Had this great long comment written out, and it disappeared. *cries* Lemme try again.

Soleil, one script is for stage and one for film. The film one isn't exactly zombies, but I did pull in mutants. Not radiation mutants, but more like... genetic tampering contaminant mutants. Heh.

The teaching thing is high school English all the way. I feel sorry for kids these days because English just isn't stressed, and I think they're missing a huge part of their education that way. The part that's about learning for self-improvement's sake, for enrichment. It's not geared toward getting more funding, so it takes a backseat, and I think that costs these kids greatly.

Most get to college without being able to write a cohesive paragraph, let alone a whole paper, and I doubt a one of them has read anything longer than a text in their whole high school career. Forget Shakespeare or Chaucer or Whitman or Poe, etc.

I'm kinda quietly passionate about it, and I've actually gotten a couple of the kids I work with interested, so I know I could do it. Dunno if it's my bliss or not, but maybe sometime down the road.

And Katie, some places have Good Friday off, but rarely the Monday after Easter. I guess they figure a weekend is long enough as it is. Heheh.

Word verification: fockd. Heh, not me anymore! Woot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home