Friday, August 27, 2010

Troublesome Update:

Okay, I try not to weep and wail and rant here, right? So I can totally make the occasional exception to that rule, right?

Yes or no, I'm gonna make an observation that might have a bit of both weep and rant to it. Sorry. You've been warned.

So, back in 2000 (ya know, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and dirt was new), I graduated college with a BA in English. Supposed to be a gateway major. You can do just about anything with it, right?

WRONG.

Admittedly, if I lived in a bigger city (as friends and family point out ad nauseum), I'd probably make at least $3 more an hour just having any bachelor's degree, but hey. I live here. Not changing soon. At least not changing up, though I'm usually willing to move to a smaller town. Ha.

But yeah. BA English ain't gettin me doodlysquat here. So, gee, I guess I'll try to better myself and my currently crappy situation by going back and finishing that pesky BSE I changed to that pesky BA back in the day. Shouldn't be too hard, right? They're just throwing money at people who want to be teachers, right?

Wrong. AGAIN.

Because, see, both college-type places I've been to in the past week for even the slightest, most remote chance for an possible option have told me... get this... that I'd have been better off dropping out, rather than changing my major and graduating.

No lie.

Okay, they didn't use those exact words, but that's what it boils down to. Because anyone who already has a degree can't get financial aid, grants, scholarships, you name it. Because I qualify (at both locations, mind you, and glowingly qualify, at that) for full-ride scholarships. Just can't get one.

Hell. Couldn't even get one back in the day. Why am I surprised now?

Now, don't get me wrong. I know good and well that the no-loan-no-grant thing is to prevent people being "professional college students" at the government's expense. It's to make sure everyone gets at least one fair shot at affording college. I get that. I understand. I even approve.

But it sucks hairy, sweaty donkey balls when you're just trying to be a teacher.

Right now, I can't afford a stick of gum, but they want me to finish my BSE (or get an associate's degree from a community college) out of pocket? Shyeah, right. Let me also pull a bowling ball, three parrots, and a diesel truck outta my ass.

See, I was told -- yeah, back in the day -- that even with just a BA in English, I could get a teaching job with a provisional license, and the school I worked for would... get this... pay for finishing my education. I was told -- I know, I know -- that money was pretty much falling out the government's ass for the training of good teachers. I was told... well, you get the idea.

I was lied to.

That's fine. I'm used to it. I'm used to everything being hard. Fine.

And I could go get my Master's degree. I can get funding for that. Oh, not grants, of course. But I can totally put myself even deeper into debt to earn yet another degree that has no guarantee of being applicable to real life and that I also can't afford to pay back. Gee. Why haven't I leapt at that particular brass ring yet? What am I waiting for?

Sorry. I really am. I'm just so tired of running into road blocks everywhere I go. Beating my head against every brick wall in sight.

How the hell am I supposed to ever break even if I can't get a better job? I would really enjoy teaching, and the high-school-aged kids I know both at work and at Stone's Throw tell me they'd love having me as their teacher. I know literature. I know composition and grammar. I even know how to relate those things to kids who are more likely to ROFL than compose a sonnet.

But God help me when it comes to actually making a living at it. Apparently, I'm doomed to never being paid for any modicum of talent I might have been given.

Guh. This is one entry I might just delete. Someday. When I feel better.

If I feel better.

I have to go fill out applications now. Dammit.

Oh, yeah: play's going great. We've broken records for ticket sales. Packed house almost every night. Nothing but great comments from the people who've watched it. Rave reviews. And I already have my music for the next one. I'm not acting in it, but I'm singing during the scene changes, which should be cool.

Heh, and because I'm feeling particularly contrary today, I feel obliged to point out that all of that is completely voluntary. Yet another way I manage to use my minimal talents for no gain whatsoever.

'S a good thing I enjoy it so much, eh? Not all dividends have cash equivalents.

3 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

that sucks, but as a fellow English degree holder, it's very true that the degree does not get you very far except to indicate you can finish something. I ended up doing admin stuff for a long time simply because I could type. The experience I gained doing that sort of locked me into various roles, but the degree did get me high level roles and even management positions.

I'm not sure what's worse, though, the schools and whoever else shining on kids so they think a degree will net them some immediate gain, or the backwards slide of the usefulness of a college degree. Both trends bother me.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Amen. Maybe it's just this area, but unless you have either a very specific degree (sociology/psychology or computer science or a trade associates like CADD or some such) or a master's level degree, there's just not much call for a bachelor's anymore.

It certainly doesn't pay for itself. Geez.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Bulma16 said...

Word to all you said Geeb. And hey if anything's rant worthy, it is the SNAFU that is higher education.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home