Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Har-de-har-har Sidebar:

Okay, so I'm an idiot.

This knowledge always surprises me because I usually think I'm pretty smart. Then, I go and prove that I'm not so much.

So, for my new job, I usually close Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, and leave after the late rush on Wednesdays and Thursdays. That late rush can be anywhere between 8:30 and 11:30, depending on how busy we are. I haven't left before 10:00 since my first week, though, so I figured later would be more likely tonight.

Thus, when the boss said to leave just before 9:00, I was all, "Sweet! I can go home and do my read-thru and get the revisions back to my editor way early!"

Needless to say, this is what I was thinking as I turned on my car to thaw it out a little while I scraped. I honestly can't tell you how the door magically locked. Usually, if you accidentally hit the button on the key fob, the car honks. There was no honk. And I didn't accidentally lean on the locky thing in the door, either. I have NO CLUE how it locked.

But it sure did. With the car running and the keys inside.

Gleefully oblivious to this, I scrape off the sleet with happy swipes of the trusty ol' ice scraper and then go to climb inside...and realize there's a problem. The door won't open. Totally locked. ALL the doors are locked.

And the car's running.

Okay, so I go over my options. I do have a spare fob at home. Maybe I can catch a ride with someone or even just call a cab. No problem.

So I go back inside, and the boss hands me his truck keys, no questions. Bless his heart. He doesn't know that I practically get hives at the idea of driving someone else's vehicle. Reluctantly, I take his keys, only to freeze in both relief and new horror because...my house key is on the keychain that's locked inside the car.

Before you ask, yes, I have a spare. But it's locked in the lockbox for the realtor to use when showing the house.

Okay, so no problem. I'll just call my realtor and ask for the keypad's code. Except I can't get ahold of her. I leave a message, then try to call a few others, hoping for options. Dad suggests I call a locksmith, but I really REALLY don't want to do that.

Lemme tell you a little side story. Way back when, my keys accidentally got locked in my car at my mom's house. I probably even blogged about it. A locksmith came out to unlock the door, right? Put the little air bladder thing in the crack, pumped it up to create a space, then used a long pointer thingy to push the unlock button. And in the process, bent my door so that it no longer fit easily into the frame and sometimes wouldn't close enough to latch, especially when it was cold.

Fastforward back to tonight, and I'm standing there refusing to call a locksmith and do such a horrible thing to my beautiful new car. It may have magically (and perhaps maliciously) locked itself, but that's hardly a door-bending offense, right?

So I figure I'll give the realtor another try. She picks up this time, and she's already on the way over to my house. I told her that surely wasn't necessary, that I could get to the house if she'd just give me the code, but she said it was no problem and that she'd be happy to bring me my spare key fob.

Of course, a little thinking tells me that she can't give me the code because all her houses probably have the same code, which poses a serious security risk, but seriously. Still a nice thing to do. I dunno where she lives, but she drove almost all the way out of town on the northeast side, then drove my fob all the way west of town in the middle, then back home again.

Bless her heart.

At any rate, in all, I think the car was merrily idling for a good twenty minutes. Maybe half an hour, max. Not bad, all told. And I still got home before 10:00, which is earlier than usual.

Of course, now I'm thinking of making soup instead of doing my read-thru, but hey. I'll talk myself into being a good girl in a little bit. Honestly.

...

Though soup does sound really, really good. Mmmm....

1 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

Do not feel alone. There is a reason that, in teh winter, I carry a spare set of car keys in my parka pocket. I do not trust electronic locks no more, no how.

Most of the new cars cannot be opened with a slim jim without damaging the lock. The easiest way to get your car opened, though, is with OnStar or one of those services that can remotely unlock your vehicle. [Of course, you also have big brother able to know everywhere you drive, if they so choose and have a warrant. But that's probably not a big concern for most folks.]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home