Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bizarro Update:

Okay, so I think I'm losing my edge.

I don't have a heart. I'm pretty sure everyone who knows me will acknowledge that. And I don't do romance... despite the fact that I have a romantic comedy novel coming out in May of this year.

But....

I just caught myself watching not one but TWO romantic comedies. In a row. Ridiculous!

The first was Simply Irresistible, which I only enjoy because it's quirky good fun. Amanda Peet cracks me up as the uppity and hyper ex-girlfriend, and Larry Gilliard, Jr., slays as the guy friend, the friend that's a guy. What the hell is he doing with those dolls, anyway??

*snerk*

So that, I can explain away. It's funny, and it's about a cook and good food and a little bit of magic.

But the second plunge into sap is not so easily assuaged away from my conscience.

You've Got Mail.

Yeah. That one. I can't help it. I like Meg Ryan. Like Sandra Bullock, she has a charm all her own. Quirky and fun.

All was going well enough -- it's a predictable enough scenario, though enjoyable for the fun chemistry between Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan that made Sleepless in Seattle such a success -- until it happened.

Until she closed her store.

I don't know why, but that wrenches my gut. No, I didn't cry -- Klingons don't have tear ducts, remember -- but it did just about break my heart when her loyal customers mourned even as they bought out her stock. When the camera pans around those empty shelves, the shop so devoid of the homey charm she and her mother had invested in it over the course of 42 years. When she says that it feels like a part of her has died, like her mother has died all over again.

When she looks back one last time when the lights are out and sees her mother swinging her child self around, both of them laughing and full of joy.

Maybe it's just because I'd give a lot to have a book shop full of well-loved novels and its own quirky charm. Maybe it's because I have a current story about someone who loses their beloved book shop and all the past invested in it.

Or maybe it's because Meg Ryan is a really good crier. I mean, seriously. She can turn on those tears, and even an old stone-heart like me can't help but feel the ol' ticker clench. She's been killing me since Goose died in Top Gun.

Hell, for all I know, it could be that I'm still a little raw from reading my beloved sister's latest gut-wrencher of a novel. Seriously. That woman can turn me inside out with her words, and it's not just because she's my sister.

At any rate, though the rest of the movie is good enough, that's the part that haunts me the most. Fate doesn't step in at the last moment to give her back her business. Part of the movie is about leaving behind who you were and having the courage to face who you will be, so she has to be shut of that loving past in order to embrace the frightening and unknown path unwinding before her.

Doesn't matter to me. I want to give her that shop back. Help her place every last book back on the shelf. I'd even be tempted to help her decorate that Christmas tree with all its handmade ornaments.

Okay, that's a bit much. I don't do Christmas.

Anyway, I know it's just because I'm biased because I'd love a shop of my own some day, but hey. Whatever it is, it definitely means I'm not the hardass I'm used to being.

Dammit.

8 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Pesh said...

Klingon, huh?

Finally! An explanation for that forehead!

*snerk*

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

I didn't think the lobster-head look needed explanation.

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Pesh said...

ROCK LOBSTER!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

It wasn't a rock. *snerk*

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Pesh said...

I love that loony tune. ^_^

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Who doesn't? I mean, seriously.

We were at the beach
Everybody had matching towels


How is that not better than the better-known Love Shack?

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Bulma16 said...

I'm more partial to 'Roam' myself!!

Oh, and I knew you were faking it! Ugh. Geeb has human girly emotions. Gross...

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

She does not!

*scowls*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home