Sunday, December 13, 2009

Funny Update:

So, my first "real" book signing.

Okay, so the first first one was in my driveway, but hey. Me and my beloved sister drove to our hometown to do a book signing at our old library.

God, I loved that place as a kid. I could spend hours in there. Pull this book from the shelf, read it, put it back. Pull another, read it, put it back. "Mols, it's time go to." "Okay, Mom...." and borrow another five to tide me over until the next visit.

And the librarian was always Luella. Such a sweet woman. She ran the library for 24 years, but has since retired...but she made time to come by today to wish me and Joely well and to tell us how proud she was of us. Lovely woman.

It wasn't a huge turnout, but we had more visitors than we expected and sold some books and reconnected with some old friends and family, and really, what more can you ask?

Did you say...El Sambre's? Why, yes, we did go to El Sambre's.

Our family has been eating at this restaurant a half hour away for... get this... thirty years. Not kidding. This is the place where, when I was 3 or 4, I started to choke on a tortilla chip and the owner himself ran out of the kitchen to give me the Heimlich maneuver. Saved my life. And 20 years later, he remembered me, mostly because we'd been coming in the whole while.

And seriously. Thirty years. That's what you call either seriously loyal patronage or a seriously good restaurant.

Just ate my leftovers. Heh.

Anyway, also got to see Kristi and her litter (as my cousin put it, thanks to her tendency to have two kids at a time). Ava and Cannon are precocious and adorable as always, and Willow and Scarlett... my God, have they grown! They're like little kids, now.

Okay, they're not even a year old yet, but you know what I mean. And they really, really liked my big cross necklace. Nearly choked me with it like four times.

Good times.

Anyway, it was fun to sign as G.B. Kensington, fun to talk with my sister (as always), and fun to reminisce with old acquaintances (have you gotten all that mud out of your ear yet, Sis?) and just a fun day in general.

And I have no cookies left, though I made chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, and bonbons, to boot. Goodies went bye-bye. They're gone now.

So long, sailin', sailin'....

Sorry. Listened to "Somewhere Beyond the Sea" on the way home. Heh.

And now, Sweet Dreams tea and a couple of ibuprofen (headache from my hair being up all day) and it is sooooo bedtime. *jaw-cracks a yawn*


Edited to add:

Jeez, I went and forgot the two most fun things of all yesterday! Man, was I tired, or what?

'S what I get for getting up before dawn. Ugh.

Anyway, just before we hit the restaurant, Joely snuck me inside a shoe store -- where I would usually rather remove my eyes with mittens than go -- and informed me that she and Mom had talked and decided to team up to buy me a good pair of shoes for standing on concrete and tile all day. *puddles up* Isn't that sweet? It's Christmas and my birthday all wrapped up in one....

...Or in two, as Crocs were the only things that really felt up to the task and they were on sale, so we got two pairs for probably less than the price of one. Woot! I got work shoes!

And the other thing was at Kristi's house. Her kids are starting to really enjoy video games. Or they really enjoy playing the easier levels, then handing the controllers over to Mom and Dad to get them over the harder ones. Heh.

At any rate, it ended up that Kristi and I played Super Mario Brothers 3 on an old (but excellently maintained) Nintendo 64 for...like five hours. No, I'm not kidding.

It's really, really spooky how quickly it all came back to me. My brother and I beat that game like six times in a row sometimes, and while I initially had NO idea what I was doing, as soon as we got back into it, all the little irritations and joys came back.

Good times. And bless Kristi's mother heart that she'll play for her kids. Heh.

6 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Pesh said...

Heh, sucks I missed it, but I got to watch a bridesmaid pass out at the altar, cut and serve a three-tier wedding cake (without losing a finger *beams*), and later learn that the bride spent most of the reception puking up her guts. Ah, memories.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

I'll have to count fingers for myself before I'll believe such a bogus report.

*snerk*

But it sounds like as fun as a wedding could possibly be, so woot! I, of course, went and forgot two of the things I'd planned to blog about last night, but oh, well.

And...for some reason...my eyelids are swollen this morning. They haven't done that since poison ivy, but I can't imagine where I'd have gotten into that, so I have to conclude that it was a combination of the eyeliner/mascara combo and the scrubbing with Neutrogena required to remove it.

Although I've done that before (never frequently, of course, because I hate wearing makeup) and it hasn't done this. Hm.

 
At 1:14 PM, OpenID soleilnoir said...

So glad your first signing went well Molly! Wish I could have been there but looks like I'll reap the rewards of it anyway. *g* You know, I've never owned a book that was signed by the author before, so it's a cool first that it gets to be yours and Joely's.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Bless your heart, Soleil!

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Bulma16 said...

Hu-normous "yay-you-had-your-very-own-book-signing" woot!!! WTG nemesis!! *glomps*

PS: OMG. Mario 3 is the sh*t!! It's definitely my favorite Mario game of all time (followed verrry closely by the one where you can ride Yoshi and stuff).

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

I think the funniest parts where those "What the heck...oh, yeah! Dammit, I HATE this level!" moments. Heheheh.

And when the new book comes out in print (looking like March 2011, though it should be in e-book in May 2010), you're all getting signed copies, formal book-signing or no. Because you're all just that awesome!

Even you, Nemesis of mine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home