Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Dear Charlie:

I've been a bad Geeb.

I'm sorry, long-devoted and long-suffering blog, but Twitter is the devil! It's just so easy!

For those of you not tweeting (save your souls! don't submit to the tweetnomenon!), I've been cranking out a steampunk novella for a Samhain anthology. Unfortunately, while I've written 25,000 words or so in like three days, I think I wouldn't be doing the story justice to short it enough to wrap up in 30K.

So, I'm going to let it be what it is and shoot for 50-60K instead. I was definitely writing lean earlier on to keep the wordcount down, and I would love to go back and add some of the steampunk ideas I reluctantly discarded to the overall atmosphere. Plus, now I get to write a candy bar scene that I honestly wasn't sure I could do without before and now don't have to. Woot!

Gotta take enjoyment from those little things, ya know.

No new news on the job front. Still applying and interviewing and getting nowhere with blinding speed. Heheh. At the moment, I only have two interview/applications still outstanding, and I'd really, really like the second one to come through. It sounds like it would be great good fun on top of being a steady paycheck, and, seriously folks, at this point in my life, I want some fun.

I've done the "responsible" jobs for nine years now. I can do them well and I can do them for a long, long time...but I want to have fun at work. And not have fun just because of the people I'm around but because the work itself is fun.

So, keep your fingers crossed, if you pretty please, and we'll see how it goes. I may ask a favor of a friend to see if he needs any help just temporarily to tide me over until I hear for sure on either of the two possibilities. I hate hate HATE asking favors (it's entirely too close to asking for help, and...yeah, you know me), but I'm getting down to the wire, here.

However, thanks to Pesh and her oh-so-timely intervention of Coke and Bigelow tea, I will follow Gloria Gaynor's sage advice.

I will survive.

*snerk* Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

2 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

Glad the writing is going well!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

It is, WW, and thank you! I really think it'll be a richer story at full-length. I might have been able to wrangle it down to 40K, but the guidelines strictly stated between 25-30K, and it just wasn't going to be that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home