Thursday, October 08, 2009

Dear Charlie:

Well, today is a weird day. Why, you ask? Good day or bad day, you ask?

Well...both. Because I finally put my house on the market.

*pauses to reflect*

I've had eight good years in this house. It's had its ups and downs, but in all, I've loved this place for eight years. I knew it was the one I wanted from the first time I saw it. I'd been looking at houses for almost eight months at the time, and I didn't expect much from the property description, but when I pulled up to the curb, my first thought was, "This can't be the place. It looks...perfect!"

But it was the right place, and soon enough, it was mine. Well, mine and the bank's, of course. But it felt like mine.

I haven't always been good to it and it hasn't always been good to me. But it's been shelter and comfort for a lot of years. I've housed friends here. I've baked for friends and family and perfect strangers here. I watched thousands of movies and read hundreds of books here. I've cooked lots of big, ornate dinners. I've also chowed down on lots of Ramen noodles.

I guess that's the point, isn't it? Owning a house and all it entails gets expensive, and I just can't keep up with it anymore. Even when I had a job -- and that's a whole 'nother story -- I was scratching and scampering every month to make ends meet. Between insurance and taxes and utilities and upkeep...it's just hard for a single person with crappy credit. We get hammered from all sides, and when there's only one paycheck -- one MEAGER paycheck -- it just doesn't cover everything.

So, goodbye, House. I'll miss you when you're gone. I hope a new owner treats you with the careful touch you deserve.

I'll be chillin' in a studio apartment with all utilities paid. Heh.

3 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

How sad, yet I totally get it. I had three months salary in my checkign account when I bought my house. I've been up to my hairline in debt ever since I bought the Money Pit. And now I own TWO houses!

Some days, I truly long for my $450/month apartment with all utilities paid.

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Oscilante said...

You don't know me, I usually read a few things you write, and I used to visit your blog.

I had to leave what was my home for a long time about three years ago, at first it was very difficult, but I tried to see this as a new beginning.

I found this(The English is not my native language and I'm not really good as a translator, but I think it's a great message) :
In every Moving house something breaks, something is left behind, something is missing

In every Moving house something starts again, something was redecorated and something ...

makes us look forward


I wish you luck.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Well, bless your heart, Oscilante! That is a great message, and I'll definitely be thinking about it in the coming months.

Thank you for it, and welcome back. I hope you're as happy in your new home as you were in your old one. I like to think that "home" is something you can take with you. We'll see, won't we?

And WW? I definitely know the concept of the Money Pit. Not only was it a hilarious movie, but my beloved sister lived in it for a while. And that was a new house. Imagine how bad it is now!

At any rate, I'm definitely going for the utilities-paid angle. I can't wait to not have to deal with them anymore. Guh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home