Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Dear Charlie:

Is it weird to have fun at the dentist's office?

I just had to have my last baby tooth pulled during my lunch hour today. Yes, I'm 32 years old. I've taken good care of it.

But no matter how well you take care of a baby tooth -- it didn't have a permanent tooth under it to wear down the roots and push it out, so it just stayed, and no, that's not terribly rare -- it eventually wears out. This one chipped while I was munching a jelly bean. Yes, a jelly bean. I broke a tooth on a jelly bean.

Stop looking at me like that.

Anyway, since it was chipped/cracked, I figured it was finally time to go. I tried to wiggle it loose, but it just stayed put. Didn't hurt, which was good, but it wasn't coming out on its own. I was tempted to take a pair of pliers to it to save myself the bill, but hey. If anyone could screw up a simple tooth-pulling, it's me.

After all...I broke a tooth on a jelly bean. Let's not forget.

So I went, and me and the dentist and his assistant all got to joking around about it being the last baby tooth. The assistant was all, "You're a big girl now!" and the dentist was all, "If you're brave, you can have a SpongeBob tattoo when we're done!" and I couldn't help but pout and ask, "Why can't I have a sucker?"

Laughing, he numbed and yanked, and I thanked him kindly around a mouthful of gauze and a dead upper lip, and the assistant put the tooth (which had one wicked-long root still there, which is what was holding it in so firmly; that thing wouldn't have come out until Judgment Day if he hadn't yanked it) in a little wooden box shaped like a tooth and told me to put it under my pillow. I wondered how much the Tooth Fairy paid out for 32-year-old baby teeth. A fortune? Or a kick in the tail?

Heheh.

So...is it weird to have that much fun at the dentist's office? I'll let you be the judge.

2 Comments:

At 4:20 AM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

I did not know that about baby teeth! As far as breaking one on a jelly bean, if it were cracked, something sticky/chewy like that is the perfect removal tool, actually. I used to use tootsie rolls to rid myself of loose baby teeth.

word veri: dangle. Isn't that what your tooth was doing?

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Bulma16 said...

Yes, it's extremely weird. But considering you're a 32 year old woman who chipped a baby tooth on a jelly bean of all things--instead of say a Jolly Rancher, jaw breaker, or a hard candy of some kind; enjoying a trip to the dentist's office is the least of your worries Geeb...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home