Saturday, June 06, 2009

Dear Charlie:

So Thursday night, instead of baking cookies (an idea I briefly toyed with and that would have been heartily endorsed by the folks at work; apparently it's been too long since I appropriately stuffed the masses), I scraped down another wall in my bedroom. You may or may not remember me attacking the first wall's wallpaper backing years ago and having the very devil of a time with it.

I. Will. Never. Forget.

But I finally felt the urge again (oi, am I getting tired of having so much unfinished stuff around my beloved house!) and apparently lost the rest of my sanity, so I gamely mixed up some fabric softener water and hosed a section down. Imagine my surprise when it wasn't as bad as I remembered. My putty knife didn't scrimp and gouge for each little inch of removed backing but plowed off the paper in sheaves and ribbons. Amazing.

I dunno if being exposed to the air for so long somehow made the glue not be such a bitchkitty, if I used more (or less) fabric softener, if I just hosed it down better or what, but it only took 2 1/2 hours to do that whole wall section and about a fifth of the next wall (probably 15 feet overall), where it took a good 5 hours and all of my most creative cursing to do maybe 8 feet of wall the last time.

This...is improvement.

So I'll hopefully get a third wall done tomorrow around noonish, let that wall dry while I spackle the other two, then spackle the third wall while the quick-dry spackle dries on the other two, then sand the other two while the spackle dries on the third...and then maybe paint all three. Dunno if I'll get that far. At least not tomorrow.

But what I'm hoping is to get the three "easy" walls done all at once so I can pull out the bed and nightstand from the fourth wall and do it all by itself so I only have to move the bed once. It's not big (just a double) or even terribly heavy, but the carpet is just plushy enough that the wheels on the hollywood frame have settled appreciably into the pile, making it hard to jerk it out of its accustomed place without jacking with the headboard and ripping it right off.

Conversely, those veritable holes in the carpet make it easier to get the bed right back where it's supposed to be. Heheh.

In other news, I went down to Mom's this weekend for...errrr...Mother's Day. Yes, I know it's June. Yes, I know it's practically Father's Day already. But hey. Between her and Mac (her husband) being sick and me being brought low with allergies (thanks to the ginormous wind storm that knocked out the power for a week blowing all possible spores/pollen/dust/whatnot into the air for we tortured few to merrily inhale), I just didn't get down there until now.

Anyway, it's always good to get out of town and into the great spaces of the country. To see more grass than concrete. More trees than shrubs. More cornfields than parking lots. Good times. It's always so quiet out in the boonies. I love it.

One of these days, man.

...

Shyeah. Maybe when I win the PowerBall jackpot, right?

So anyway, for tonight, it's Thomas Jane movies and a bottle of Miller Genuine Draft (usually, I'm a Bud Lite or Bud Select girl, but sometimes, you want something a little...richer) and maybe some creamy tomato soup in a half hour or so. Tomorrow, it's more wallpaper scraping and at least some spackling.

After that...the world.

...

...

...

Okay, after that is work. But hey. I can dream.

5 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

I feel for you! I had to strip every freaking wall in my old house. Took a couple of years to get through all of it becasue I just did one room at a time.

The trick to getting that backing off the wall is a steamer. If you don't have a steamer, get a spray bottle and douse it so it's saturated and soaks in a bit before you scrape. Should come of dead easy then.

Also, scrub down the walls with the phosphate-free TSP before painting or the glue might prevent proper paint adhesive. And be sure to use a good primer!

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Pesh said...

Bitchkitty?

That's a new one.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Jenna said...

I really miss your cookies!!! How is everything going??? I miss you! Hope the OC is treating you well! - Jenna

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Zojojojo said...

Bitchkitty will become my new favourite word!

I baked Greek shortbread with almond/orange dough. They're cooling downstairs and I shall once again be the hero of my department. I will be showered with praise and love.

Kyahaha. Et al.

Good to hear that you're making time for the things that matter to you, Neechan.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Ugh, I can't afford a steamer, WW, but I'd love one. Mostly, I think just soaking the damn wall is my best bet. It isn't nearly as bad as I feared, so I'm trying not to complain.

Too much, heh.

You know, like most of my favorite nonsense words, bitchkitty came from Stephen King. Can't remember which book at the moment, but it's right up there with "driving me apeshit" and "what a fuckarow".

Bitchkitty. It's just fun to say.

Jenna! Whazzup, crazy lady! How'd the job interview go?

And Zo! *glomp-tackles* Good to know you're finally taking after your chef-tastic pater, ne? I knew you couldn't resist the urge to bake forever.

Resistance is futile. All your base are belong to us.

Checkmate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home