Saturday, May 09, 2009

Weird Update:

Okay, so here I am at Hardee's. Why Hardee's, you ask? Because they have free wifi, of course, and I have no power at home. I am powerless. Sans electricity.

My area was pummelled by extremely blowy storms yesterday, and a good chunk of town is without power. No power means no cable internet. Not cool.

It also means no DVD player. Mind you, I can sit and read longer than almost anyone, but I had two rentals that I still hadn't watched that I had to take back, darn it.

Anyway....

I'm actually pretty lucky. A big cedar tree in the neighbor's yard cracked in half and dumped its top onto one of my redbuds and my old, well-loved gas grill was blown right off my porch, flipped over, and demolished, but other than some downed limbs and the no-power thing, I escaped this particular cap of wind intact.

Well, minus the food in my fridge. It kept well the last time the power was out for any length of time because it was winter, but while it's not blazing hot right now, it's definitely not winter. I'm pretty sure everything but the beer in my fridge will have to go. No cold since 7:00 yesterday morning.

Oh, well.

In other news, while I did go to work for a few hours yesterday (where there was also no power) and then left early when the boss offered the option, I also stopped by the theater to watch Star Trek. As you might know, I've been greatly disappointed by two highly-anticipated (or highly-dreaded) movies already this year, so I was hesitant to get all excited about this one. I'm a long-time Trekkie, you see. Not a convention Trekkie, but a loyal watcher, just the same.

And this was the first Star Trek movie to feature cast members who'd never been in one of the TV shows. Literally anything could have happened, so I tried not to get my hopes up.

Such fears were groundless.

Star Trek is fan service, simple as that. Every nuance, from Bones' crotchety nature to Checkov's carefully enunciated Vs, is crafted to delight long-time fans, while the fantastic special effects and quick-paced story damn well ought to draw in fresh blood. This is a treat to watch, and I found myself grinning like an idiot through the entire thing.

Just as I was transported outside the theater with 2007's Transformers, I was held utterly enthralled with fond memories of my mother, my beloved sister, and I watching back when reruns of the original series ran on Sunday afternoons. We used to pile into the couch when we watched, and we'd lurch this way and that, falling over each other, when the Enterprise was battered by the Klingons or the Romulans. And oh, how we'd laugh -- not because it was stupid but because it was fun.

This movie is fun. It has a red shirt. It has the Kobayashi Maru. It has bar fights and Vulcans and Romulans (always a fascinating pair to bounce off each other, considering that they are opposite ends of the same species) and Scotty -- oh, Scotty! -- and humor and drama and explosions and phasers set to stun and every favorite quote you've ever heard a Trekkie utter (except the one about tribbles) and... oh... I want to watch it again.

This will definitely be taking pride of place in my collection. I'm telling you, these actors and this story is just the epinephrine this cardiac-arresting series needed. There's so much energy to it, and so much nostalgia. It's beautiful to watch these old relationships from the start, to see with new eyes how Bones and Kirk met, how Spock came to be a member of Star Fleet, how Uhura got her position at the comm, how Scotty found his home on that lovely old ship number NCC-1701.

I'm smiling even as I type. It's just a beautiful thing.

If you're a Trekkie, go watch it with no fear of being let down by the new treatment. As far as I can tell, all the principle actors were either Trekkies themselves or studied copious heaps of the show and movies to get everything just right. The guy who plays Dr. McCoy is just spot-on. He has the facial expressions, the grumbling tones. Sometimes, I swear he even looks like a young DeForest Kelley.

And I can't say enough about Heroes' Sylar as Mr. Spock. If it isn't disrespectful of his prior work, I have to say that he was born to pick up that particular mantle. I hope they keep him for future movies.

After all, the future is as endless as space and full of just as many possibilities.

Fascinating.

2 Comments:

At 12:00 AM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

Sorry about your fridge contents! That stinks, literally and figuratively.

Glad to know that the new ST is good, though. I plan on seeing it.

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Bulma16 said...

I haven't seen Star Trek yet mostly because I was never into the series much (I watched it for and with my dad back in the day) but all the clips I've managed to come across online, and all the "Trekkies" have told me the same thing you did Geeb. I may just have to check it out before it comes on HBO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home