Thursday, May 21, 2009

Important Sidebar:

Today is my beloved sister's birthday. So I thought I'd say a few nice things about her.

She's brilliant. Creative. Intuitive. Kind-hearted. Wickedly amusing. Passionate. Ballsy as hell. Gorgeous. Fabulous.

She writes. She sings. She cross-stitches and crochets (though rarely, now that the three monsters and That Man take up all her time). She could math circles around MIT scholars. She speaks computer languages like a native tongue. She would give you every single shirt in her closet if she thought it would help you and make you a cup of the best coffee on Earth (the only coffee I'll drink) while you sob out why you need said shirts.

I remember once when I was a kid, Joely gave me one of the most fulsome and creative birthday presents ever. She wadded up a sheet of notebook paper, tore a few divots out of the edges, tore it into strips, dropped them in some tea, then laid them flattish and dried them out in the oven on low. By the time she was done, they looked like ancient clues to a pirate's treasure.

Which was the intent, of course.

She wrote cryptic clues to locations around our property on each strip, hid them in the proper places, and then filled a shoebox with hand-made coupons. Chores I didn't have to do. Trips to town. My favorite things for dinner. That kind of thing.

By the time I found that shoebox, I didn't even care what was inside it. I was so enamoured of those cunning little clues that I was already in hog heaven with them. Impressive as hell.

Mind you, that didn't stop me from cashing in those coupons. Waste not, want not, and all that.

So, beloved Sis, while I've never done anything half so incredible for your birthday, I just wanted to say that I love you with all my heart, you're an inspiration every day, and I hope your birthday brings you everything you wish for when you blow out your candles.

...

On the cake you probably made yourself. Bless your heart.

2 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Sniffles, aw, thanks Sis! You know, I only have the vaguest of memories of that -- but I'm so glad that YOU remember it! And I didn't have to make my own cake--Dairy Queen cake! Hope to see you on Sat.!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

I've never forgotten it, Sis. Me and my friends tried to duplicate the trick several times -- having treasure hunts became The Event at a Burkhart Birthday Party for at least the next three years -- but none ever came close to that bang-up job you did.

And I'm glad you didn't have to make your own cake. *snerk* Though it would have undoubtedly tasted better than anything off a shelf.

...

Although ice cream cakes are pretty damn good. Heheh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home