Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dear Charlie:

So I now have two small, discreet dragonflies on the backseat windows of the new ride. They're just simple line decorations, white to match the paint job, and they stick on the outside of the windows, but I think they really add a touch, thanks to Jody.

Nothing fancy, which is right up my alley. I don't do fancy.

Still haven't named the poor thing, though. I've put over a thousand miles on it, and I'm still mulling it over.

I dithered long and hard over naming it Charlie, like WrittenWyrdd suggested, because Charlie is, obviously, a very important name in my life. Heh.

Unfortunately, I figure every time I post a blog entry, I'll feel like I'm writing to my car. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not really what I'm going for.

Plus, it's an Avenger. Like "avenging angel". Do I really want an avenging angel named Charlie? Charlie's Angels anyone? Not so much.

So it's still up in the air.

Heh, on a side note, it was kind of blackly amusing mowing the lawn tonight and trying everything I could think of to prevent kicking a rock out of the mower. I was so afraid that, though I mowed with the blower away from the car while I was close to it, something would pop out at a distance with enough velocity to chip the paint job or even a window. Though that's never happened in the 8 years I've been mowing the damn lawn with the same mower.

Guh.

But I got out of this one without a scratch. I'll finish the backyard tomorrow. It's just too big a job for one session with an old, rickety push mower. Heh. I keep telling myself to just break down and get someone's old, falling apart riding lawnmower at a yard sale or something so I won't have any excuse to stop mowing come the dog days of August, but meh.

Riding lawnmowers are for wusses. And smart people.

And I don't think a one of you would accuse me of being a wuss or a smart person.

Oh, and on another sidebar, it is with mixed feelings that I draw attention to Kansas City trading the infinitely talented Tony Gonzales to the Atlanta Falcons today. I didn't hold any grudges against him last year for asking to be traded mid-year. He's been a powerhouse in the NFL for twelve years, but -- like Dan Marino -- he had to be feeling the "I gotta get that ring" jones, and any idiot could see that my beloved Chiefs weren't gonna get him there with Peterson and Edwards at the helm.

I wished him well then, and I still do now. He's too much a class act to ever ascribe any ill feeling to him.

However, I'd kinda hoped that with a fresh GM and an even fresher head coach, he might stick around to see how things go this year. I don't blame him for not doing so -- Atlanta's really liking their QB these days, especially since there's not so much as a whiff of the kennel about him, doh! -- but oh, how I'd have liked to see him get that sparkly SuperBowl ring here.

But what held true last year holds true now -- he ain't gettin any younger, and while he's been remarkably healthy for a remarkably long time, all those shots he takes in double and triple coverage are gonna pile up someday. If he's gonna take a bash at the Bowl, he's gotta do it while he's still young enough to enjoy the trip. It'd be a cryin' shame to get us over this first hurdle of a year only to get injured and have to sit out for the hypothetical playoffs and part of the next season, then try to come back as strong as ever.

So, no, I don't hold a grudge for him going, but, oh, I wish he could stay.

Goodbye, #88. You have carved your name in the Chiefs' family tree, and you'll always be a Chief to me, man. May your receptions be easy and your touchdowns be plentiful (so long as they're not against us).

You will be missed.

4 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Pesh said...

Jaaaannne....

Bwehehehehe....

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Fiendish creature!

*is traumatized*

Oh, and no Mutant Chronicles. Man, that SUCKS! I can only hope they put it out on DVD soon, because that blows some serious chunks. Dammit!

*kicks a rock*

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Pesh said...

O_o

*watches rock ding Jayne/Jane/however-the-Hell-Geeb-wants-to-spell-it*

Just your luck....

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

I know! I could see it in my mind. Even though it had never happened before, I could just see it happening now.

Makes me want to overhaul my garage more than ever. Anyone got a handy-dandy (preferably magic) stump puller?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home