Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dear Charlie:

I am such a geek.

Now, I'm a geek in lots of ways, heheh, but I just keep being surprised by the depth and magnitude. See, I just figured out that the license plate Carter wrangles from the tiger shark's teeth at the beginning of Deep Blue Sea is a tribute to Jaws, when Hooper hacks open the tiger shark's stomach to see if the kid's remains are in there and prove that the caught shark isn't the one that's been rampaging.

Louisiana plate number 007 981.

I love it.

See, I hadn't watched Jaws since I was a kid, and I got to thinking I should. So, I rented it, and when Hooper tosses that license plate at Chief Brody, I got to thinking about Carter's BS explanation about how a shark with a Louisiana license plate in its mouth ended up in Aquatica's range. The little wheels in my dedicated geek's brain started turning, and I put DBS back in and, viola.

Louisiana plate number 007 981.

Hey, at least I'm willing to admit to my nerdishness. Some people refuse to acknowledge it and use it as a strength. Heh.

In other news, I was supposed to go to my beloved sister's house today for a yummy prime rib Easter dinner, but...well...I slept in. Not my fault. I set the alarm for 10:00, but there must have been a power blip sometime in the night (it's been raining since midnight or so). I didn't see the clock numbers flashing because I make it a point to ignore the clock when I'm trying to sleep in. I figured when the alarm went off was time enough to get up.

But it didn't go off. And so every time I drowsed awake (that's my version of sleeping in), I just drowsed back off, figuring it wasn't time to get up yet. When I finally guessed that something might be wrong and rolled over to see the numbers flashing, it was after noon. Whoops!

See, it takes an hour and a half to get to Joely's house, and they were gonna eat at 1:00-ish. If I'd left at noon-thirty or so (and yes, even getting up after noon, I can be out the door, fully dressed and teeth brushed, in ten minutes or so) I probably still wouldn't be there now.

Thus, I'd have only gotten a few hours with Joely (and those divided between everyone else there) before having to turn around and come right back. I can afford the gas, but I still would rather maximize my time with her by going up on a less busy weekend and spending the better part of a day than by rushing up, chitchatting for an hour or two, then rushing back.

Darn it.

At least it gave me time to check out my license plate theory. *snerk* But I totally missed out on prime rib. Double darn it.

I guess I'll just have to settle for looking at Thomas Jane in orange swim trunks again. You know, before I have to take it back and all. Triple darn it!

Oh, and the DragonBall Evolution movie came out this weekend. That's a quadruple, quintuple, and sextuple darn it, all in one. Good God.

There are no words.

Thomas Jane in orange swim trunks, here I come. Ay carumba.

3 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Pesh said...

Poor Geeb.

And yes, DB:Evil came out this weekend, but it is bombing. Hardcore. The estimates are abysmal at best. Check out the domestic office tab for DB:Erronous on Box Office Mojo. You will be pleased.

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Pesh said...

*Erroneous

Pesh swears she can spell...sometimes.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Ugh. That is good news.

But since the budget was only $45 mil instead of the $100 mil originally reported, it's gonna have to stay bombed even after DVD release to suck fully enough to prevent an equally atrocious plunge into our beloved DBZ.

Guuuuuuh.

Hollywood doesn't get the idea unless something is a financial loss. Fan hate and bad reviews don't do a damn thing to prevent further atrocities, but a lackluster box office might deter them a little.

Why...oh, why...didn't they just make it CGI??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home