Monday, January 19, 2009

Dear Charlie:

Coupla things:

1. I will never, EVER make petits fours again. EVER. At least not until it's been long enough to forget how big a pain in the ass they are. The only good part is doodling on top once the coating process is over. The doodling part's kinda fun, but guh. The rest is a nightmare.

2. Hot tea is God's gift to chest congestion. I've been battling the Creeping Crud for, good grief, 3 or 4 months now, and every now and then it settles right in my chest and I spend a couple of days barking like a seal. Yesterday, while I was baking the cake for the petits fours, I got to coughing so bad that my chest burned for like an hour afterward.

Anyway, when I got up this morning, it was hard to breathe and my chest hurt so bad that I called in sick, took some cough supressant (I know, I probably need to get this crap out, but damn, it hurts), tried to go back to sleep, failed miserably, then got up for good and made myself some spicy chicken soup with homemade noodles.

That worked pretty well, but what worked best of all was the India Spice hot tea I picked up at Wally World a couple of weeks ago and hadn't tried yet. Stir in some honey and let it steep a little longer than usual, and it's perfect. I've had at least ten big mugs of it today. By noon, I could breathe without wincing.

Which reminds me: while I don't frequent Starbucks, I have to admit that I'm quite smitten with their London Fog tea latte. Oh, my God. It's beautiful. I know it's just Earl Grey with some steamed milk, but...*drools*...I can never get it to brew that smooth at home. Dude.

Anyway, I should be hauling my congested butt to work tomorrow, and I sincerely hope the crew likes the friggin' petits fours, because I am NEVER making them again. Seriously.

4 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Hugs, I hope you're feeling better today! This creeping crud sux!

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Bulma16 said...

Small world! I tried the London Fog last Thursday, and it really is delicious.

Get better! I just got rid of what you had, about 2 months after I first got it. Blech.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

I've occasionally wondered how you do coat petit fours. Dipping was my guess, which would be a pain in the A...

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Sis, I'm finally feeling more human. Still sniffly and congested, but my chest doesn't feel like my lungs are on fire every time I cough, now, so that's a plus.

Claire, you're starting to scare me with this whole "look how much we have in common" thing. Seriously. ARE we related??

And WW, I'm sure petits fours are easy as pie if you're not using almond bark, but I will definitely never try that again. I have a recipe for thinned icing that hardens to a soft-ish shell when it sets but pours really easily, so I think I'll try it before giving up for good.

The trick is to put your bits of yummy on a wire rack over some waxed paper or paper towels, then just spoon whatever you're coating with over the top. It's supposed to trickle down the sides to cover and just drip off the rack and out of the way while leaving the bottom bare.

Unfortunately, said almond bark (which patently refused to run gently down the sides even after I thinned it with shortening per the package directions and required spooning up all four sides to fully coat) proceeded to harden on the wire, and I ended up having to cut almost all of them off the rack. *sigh*

HUGE pain in the ass.

I imagine that if you wanted a shortcut coating, you could probably just make a quick glaze of powdered sugar and water or milk, thin enough to pour. You wouldn't want to serve them fresh-coated (it'd be like trying to eat a fresh donut - glaze all over your hand), but if you let them sit for an hour or two, it would probably set enough to pick up without a mess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home