Thursday, January 01, 2009

Dear Charlie:

[Edited to add: This post was cursed before I even started it. Why, you might ask? Well, because it's post #666. Which is why I added the edit at the start of the post instead of the end. Those with severe heart conditions or radical allergies to Biblical symbolistic superstition should turn away.]

If it's true that how you spend your New Year's Day is how you'll spend the rest of the year, I should be in pretty good company. Thus far -- and we're only like 2 hours into the new day -- I've already spent time with my beloved sister, talked on the phone to Pesh and Edy, texted Dave, and driven 80 mph.

I also plan to sleep a lot (because I've already been up-and-running for 22 hours thus far and really REALLY need to hit the sack), read a little, and hopefully write a bit. I also have an artsy-craftsy idea that's been percolating in the back of my mind for a few weeks now that I'm tempted to give a try, if for no other reason than that I'll be artsy-craftsy-ing the rest of the year. Heh.

It's not that I want to jam-pack so many things into this coming year, because I've been busy as all get-out all of 2008. I don't really want to be that harried in '09. But I do want to do more things that I love and fewer things I hate. I mean, what's the point of suffering through work if you can't come home and do something that makes you feel better?

Because I did feel so harried and busy-busy-hurry-hurry in 2008, I really didn't have a fun year. Sure, lots of excellent movies came out, but I didn't get to read much, nor did I do much doodling or even that much writing. And the stuff I did write was for my own edification and to get stuff out of my head, rather than for productivity. I even puked out some poetry, and Lord Almighty, I usually only do that when I'm really deep in the doldrums.

Yeah. 2008 was not so much my year.

So, while I don't make resolutions because I think they're both silly and pretentious, I do like to set goals for myself if I think they'll make life easier or more worth the effort, and one of my goals for 2009 is to remember the stuff I enjoy and get back to some of those things. Without those hobbies and fail-safe time-taker-uppers, what's the point of bothering with a job to pay the bills and keep food on the table? If you're not going to enjoy life, why bother with it at all?

Thus, more artsy-fartsy. More baking and trying new recipes. More drawing/doodling/painting, because I really miss that. Maybe a cross-stitch pattern or two, because it's been years since I did anything artistic in that respect. And definitely more writing, because I've seriously been feeling that lack, especially lately. When your life is as mundane and financially bereft as mine, you really have to have that time to live out of your head instead of living in reality. It's an escape that movies and even reading can't offer.

I may not get a different/better job. I probably won't win the PowerBall jackpot. I likely won't ever have two cents to rub together, let alone to save up. But that doesn't mean I can't have a good time instead of spending every spare moment either searching the pitifully scant want ads or lamenting how quickly the bills pile up. Finances are depressing as hell, and I'm done with them.

Fiddle-dee-dee, said Scarlet. I will think about it tomorrah, because tomorrah is anothah day.

And now, I'm sure you can hear every minute of those 22 hours awake, so I'll let you go to enjoy your own New Year's Day. And, because I think it's one of the more sincere of "best wishes":

May the best of your past be the worst of your future.

And God bless us, every one.

2 Comments:

At 4:25 AM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

Have a happy new year, GB!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Thanks so much for coming, Sis! I had a great time. Take care and enjoy your day off today!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home