Sunday, December 14, 2008

Dear Charlie:

So I'm reading The Zombie Survival Guide and thinking what an excellent Christmas gift it would be for just that special someone in your life. Seriously. What better way to say you care than literally giving the gift of continued existence against the legions of the undead?

Well, other than wrapping up a few extra boxes of ammo, of course.

Anyway, there's this section on how a zombie's moaning is basically the most perfect psychological weapon, and while I agree that it would be harrowing after hearing it for weeks on end, I think there's one thing in Nature that has it beat.

Sleet.

See, for the last two years, my area has been devastated by December-ish ice storms. Power out for weeks. No hot water (or even running water at all, in some places). Streets slick as snot. Trees pulled into kindling by the encasing weight. Expensive damage to homes and property.

And it's sleeting outside right now. And I can't help but think about that sound and how it's just...demoralizing. It's not just the constant staticky-sizzly sound of it but the knowledge that the longer it goes on, the more likely we'll all have that much more property damage this year.

I hate that sound.

This little spate probably won't be bad enough to even keep people home from work tomorrow, but it's still just depressing. If I could have just one boon from Nature, it would be more snow, less ice. Snow, we can work around. Ice just sucks.

And my poor boys lost again. Again in the last few plays of the game. Again by just one point. *sigh* At least our draft pick is secure. Guh.

2 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

I don't mind the sizzle of sleet that much, but I really hate the sound my studded snow tires make when the road is clear.

A creepy noise for me can be plain old wind--or the other kind when there's been beans for dinner, lol. But wind onthe eaves can make some strange noises when it's really quiet...

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Oh, yeah. Wind can make some weeeeeird noises. If I ever get to design my own house, I'mma make sure the roof has all sorts of interesting jags and gables and such, just to make weird wind noise.

Sure, it's creepy, but it's just so...INTERESTING. Heh. *sheepish*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home