Thursday, December 04, 2008

Dear Charlie:

Couple things. Okay, a few.

First: my beloved sister is trying to kill me. With no warnings whatsoever, she dared to post these...things...on her blog. If I'd been eating Smarties while I laughed that hard, I could have died. Seriously.

I haven't seen The Rock having that much fun since playing a wee bit lavender in Be Cool. God.

Second: apparently FOX is pushing back the DragonBall movie trailer. Again. Yes, again. I can't wait to hear that they've pushed back the movie itself. Again.

Look. We all know that I have serious doubts about this flick. A live action adaptation of a manga-based anime is a tricky proposition all around. I still say CGI would have been better, even with the cost.

However, I'm willing to give it the slimmest of chances. I'll go see it. It'll probably be a decent action flick, at least, and that'll be fine for most viewers -- non-fans, you know -- but the long-time fans will likely be disappointed, at the very least. Some of them (some of us) might even be furious by the time it's all said and done.

But one thing that all fans, both the excited and the dolorous, can agree on is this: it sucks donkey balls that FOX isn't taking this movie seriously enough to put out even a teaser trailer yet to keep us loyalites on the hook.

Let's be honest. At this point, a trailer wouldn't be for non-fans, and I'm sure that's what FOX is thinking. I mean, they don't need to promote to us DB/DBZ-ers because we'll either go or not go on our own value systems anyway. The trailer, whenever/if ever it comes out, will be aimed toward non-fans, and it'll be waaaaay closer to the release date to catch that short attention span movie-goer who would be bowled over by the special effects and fight scenes in a flashy, well-made grab-bag-type of trailer.

It's actually kind of brilliant.

So, no. A trailer now wouldn't be a marketing strategy. It would be a reward for those fans still nibbling around the edges of this travesty of a flick. A pat on the head for still having even the slightest hope that they haven't pissed all over our beloved characters. A sign of faith that they even give a rat's ass what the dozens of millions of us spanning the globe think about what they've done to our favorite show(s). Geez. It's not that hard to figure out.

But, no trailer. Reeeeal nice, FOX.

Meh, what do I care? I'm watching this thing more as a train wreck than as a wide-eyed optimist, anyway. However, it does lead me to...

Third: I had a hilarious conversation with the pizza delivery guy last night. About the DragonBall movie.

See, I have the weirdest tendency to get into fascinating conversations with total strangers. Sometimes, that gets me into mild trouble. I get hit on a lot, even though I don't usually notice until it's pointed out to me (usually by someone who's having great fun at my expense because I'm frigging clueless about flirting and come-ons and such), at which point I get all flustered and tongue-tied. Seriously.

So anyway, Edy sent me a link to a hilarious fan-made "movie". A live-action movie of DragonBall Z. I'm soooo seriously. About ten minutes of two guys (dressed as Goku and Frieza) and home-made special effects -- don't get me wrong; they did a pretty damn good job for just a couple of guys with a computer and a digital camera -- and some seriously WTF? dialogue and lots of shouting.

I laughed. Really hard.

And about five minutes into this hilarity, the pizza guy shows up with my order. I didn't hear him coming up the steps (probably because I was laughing so hard), so he surprised me enough that I jumped up and forgot to hit pause on my way to the door. Thus, as I was signing the credit card slip, the cosplayers (I hesitate to use the word "actors") started screaming at each other, powering up. Heheh.

We both shot a glance at the noise, and when I turned back to the guy, he had a really weird look on his face. I go, "Um...if you're wondering why people are screaming in my house, it's because a friend sent me a link to a DBZ video and I didn't hit pause."

The guy brightened up. "Dude, is it the trailer for the movie??"

That's all it took. Instant twenty-minute conversation about the delays, the doubts, and the doldrums on the road to live-action production of our favorite show. It was awesome. Until I realized it was frigging cold outside and that my food was probably cold, too, and he realized he was still on the clock. Ha!

I hope he didn't get into trouble. That would suck.

But it just goes to show that FOX is either certifiably nuts for not bothering to put out a quality product or stand behind it with savvy marketing, promotion, and a frackin trailer, thus pissing off the core fans, or friggin BRILLIANT for letting said core fans do our own promotion by just talking about the damn thing all the time with everyone we come across, fan or not.

I mean, I'm doing it right now. I did it at work today. I'll probably do it tomorrow, even though it's all encapsulated in my doubts about and irritations with what they've done to the plot. After all, in show business, there's no such thing as bad press.

So...?

2 Comments:

At 1:48 AM, Blogger Bulma16 said...

"See, I have the weirdest tendency to get into fascinating conversations with total strangers. Sometimes, that gets me into mild trouble. I get hit on a lot, even though I don't usually notice until it's pointed out to me (usually by someone who's having great fun at my expense because I'm frigging clueless about flirting and come-ons and such)"

Whaddya know? Something else we have in common Geeb. Are you 100% sure we're not related, heh.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

*wibbles*

No, Claire. I'm not so sure anymore! Waaaah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home