Friday, November 14, 2008

Dear Charlie:

Just watched Bojack Unbound and, man, it makes me remember why I love DBZ so much.

*happy sigh*

As if I could forget. Heh.

Anyway, I'm now watching the making-of stuff for Hellboy 2 and remembering that conversation Pesh and I had yesterday over e-mail. Just because I'm frickin swamped at work doesn't mean I can't have an in-depth chat about the complexities of characters like Prince Nuada, right?

Hey. It keeps me sane. And I use the word "sane" loosely. Verrrrry loosely.

I'm in orange and Pesh is in blue. Because those are my beloved Kakarot's colors, not because they're the Denver Broncos colors. Stupid Broncos. Stealing a perfectly good color combination and rendering it unuseable. Ugh.

Anyway....

______________________________


Oooohhh...that deleted/extended scene [of Nuada's introductory kata] is beeeeeeauuuuuutiful. I am so impressed. I know there was some wirework in there, but seriously. Glorious movement there. Fluid, but strong and precise. Absolutely beautiful. *happy sigh*


*dies at the memory* That man is a thing of beauty when he's getting his kata on. I really hope his career picks up speed soon. He'd be fun to watch with Jason Statham with a non-crap script. I'm looking forward to Tekken just for him, but I don't expect much from the film itself.


Oooohhhh. Him and Statham. I would sooooo watch that. Forever and ever and ever. Heheh. Yeah, I'll have to watch Tekken just for him, too, because that's a guy who needs some exposure. I mean, he's a pretty darn good actor, on top of being poetry in motion. Geez! I still remember his last line from Blade II -- "Strange...it hurts...no more...." And he's smiling when he says it.


I love the breath shudders he uses in emotional moments. I still say Nuada got robbed.


Oh, absolutely. Because he was RIGHT. And because he didn't die in battle, like a warrior of his ilk should. No. He died ignobly because his sister took him down with her. *sigh* ROBBED.

That scene with the forest god gets me every time. Again, Nuada's 100% right. There was only the one left in the world, and, while Nuada did make the choice pertinent by bringing it to life in the first place, the quandary of Hellboy having to exterminate something so miraculous because he was ordered to and because he felt he had to defend the humans against it was just heart-breaking. And Nuada didn't help, what with all that making sense he did. *double sigh* An excellent character, and his death left me feeling such loss.

Sad that a movie that ain't so fabulous can make me feel so much for its characters, ne? Heheh.



[I'd just like to insert here that this is the point when Missi, my office's secretary extraordinaire, started laughing her ass off as she read. Us and our "big words". If you think people don't talk like this in real life, you're WRONG. Heheh. This is a conversation me, Pesh, Edy, and Dave would have at IHOP or Golden Corral or Great Wall any day of the week. I'm just sayin'.]


Amen. The forest god kills me too. Maybe I've just been reading too much Merry Gentry. To heck with the humans!

And I'm not so sure he would have used the forest god if he'd truly thought it would die. He had every intention of using it to avenge Wink.

He even stuck up for his peasants! How could he lose?! Grr!


I know!! It kills me!

"You must kill me. I won't stop. I cannot."

*clutches heart*

I agree that he wouldn't have used the forest god if he'd thought they had a chance of beating it, like you said, but in doing so, he did unfortunately put an unpredictable foe into a do or die position. He may well have thought it wouldn't be a real contest, but it's such a grave miscalculation on his part and shows, even if his father's demise hadn't, that his absolute dedication to his beliefs is more based in obsession than sincerity. It's one thing to be single-mindedly determined to make mankind pay for breaking the pact between the worlds. It's another to sacrifice everyone and everything in his path -- friends and family included -- to eradicate an entire race, no matter how much it deserves it. *grin* And even so, I still don't disagree with him. Heheh.

And I just can't get over incredible melancholy of that death. It's worse, I think, because it was so beautiful to watch. Like a wonderland unfolding. Its life's blood creating a peaceful sanctuary of Nature in the very middle of man's least hospitable environment.


Agreed.

Agreed.

And agreed.

I think his willingness to mow down friend and foe alike stems from his own devotion/obsession for the cause. He's so convinced that he's right, and he is, that I don't think he can fathom anything less than his own willingness to die for the cause in any of his people.


Amen. And it's that quality that makes him both unbearably noble and...ya now...the bad guy. *grin* I love that.

And such a good actor! Good grief! That we're talking about it this much just shows how excellent a job he did. He's brains AND braun AND talent, all wrapped up into one tidy package. Woot!


*fangirl drool*

When are you going to do him...er, justice in a fic?!


[Aaaaannnnnd...this is where all our fine reasonings and otherwise brilliant commentary took a backseat to our usual natures. The transition was so quick that I feared you would miss it. *snerk* So I pointed it out. Heh.]


HA!! I KNEW it! It was just a matter of time!

...But I still cracked up hard enough that Missi gave me the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot look. Ha!


*ebil grin*

Well? When?


La-la-laaa...I hear nothing...la-la-laaa!


LIAR! *cracks whip* Do it! Do it now!


Can't. I'm at work. Heheh.


Again, LIAR!

Missi is a figment of your imagination. You're at home with your camel crickets, and they won't leave until you finish the fic. If you don't finish, they'll jump in your hair and eat pieces of themselves until there's naught left but cricket heads, but they'll never die, and then they'll start eating your hair until you have bald spots.

:-P

So there.

Write.

Now.


O.o

*wibbles*

I think I'mma have nightmares now.


Not until after you write. And then the only nightmares should be tooth faeries.


Dude. Not cool. *eyes the walls*


Then write!


Can't. I'm imagining I'm at work.


*shakes fist* Then set the fic in an office!

Make him the mailroom tech. Can you imagine what he could do with a letter opener?

Office Mercenary II: The Golden Letter Opener



Can't type...laughing too hard.....


[It's true. At this point, my eyes puddled up with how hard I was laughing. All I could see in my mind was another thumbnail link under the one in my sidebar reading exactly that -- Office Mercenary II: The Golden Letter Opener. Hysterical. Missi demanded to know what was so funny, at which point I printed out the whole thing for her to read. She laughed pretty damn hard, too.]


Can you imagine him being told he can't have anymore overtime?

Nuada: *breath shudders* You must kill me. I won't stop. I cannot.


Boss (Hellboy, of course): *heavy sigh* Don't make me tell your sister.


Nuada: *breath shudders*


My throat hurts from trying to laugh quietly. I'm just sayin'.


[Again, absolutely true, except it's not as funny if you haven't seen the movie.]


Bwahaha!

____________________________


There was more to the conversation, but that was about where it went even further off track. Heheh. This kind of thing happens every other day or so, though usually in person instead of over e-mail. I should start keeping all our e-mail conversations about the DragonBall movie. Or about our favorite DBZ scenes. Or about our favorite made up DBZ scenes, which are usually worse. Heheh.

Or Pesh's husband Edy's texts listing proposed DBZ products and organizations! Oh, my God, I laughed so hard! I'll have to see if I can't find them on my cell phone and copy them over here. They're hysterical. The only one I can remember for sure was Shenron's Make-a-Wish Foundation.

HA!

2 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Pesh said...

We need to be committed. Though while I should be committed into one of the rooms above my office, you need to be committed to finishing that fic.

*throws handful of camel crickets at the blog*

Write!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

"it's such a grave miscalculation on his part and shows, even if his father's demise hadn't, that his absolute dedication to his beliefs is more based in obsession than sincerity. It's one thing to be single-mindedly determined to make mankind pay for breaking the pact between the worlds. It's another to sacrifice everyone and everything in his path -- friends and family included -- to eradicate an entire race, no matter how much it deserves it. "

The big, whopping Tragic Flaw at work. Frankly, I prefer the bad guys that are so well rounded out and have agendae that are ones I can ALMOST jump on board with. That way the reader feels the conflict and struggles with the who's right and who's wrong question along with the characters in the story. It is the basis of a good tragedy, as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home