Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dear Charlie:

Okay, so I took two much-needed days off work to run to the hometown. First things first, I...*swallows hard*...cut my hair.

Yes, I know. It's stupid to get worked up over something as dumb as whether or not to cut my hair when I so rarely care what it looks like at all, but...it's just so long. And I like it long. No one ever says, "Oh, your hair's so cute!" when it's long. When it's short? Yeah. ALL the time.

So, I haven't cut it more than to trim off the bad ends in probably three years. Give or take. It was just a few inches shy of the waist of my jeans when I straightened it.

I didn't cut it completely, though. It's still juuuuust past my shoulders. Not nearly as short as I usually cut it when I get the weird urge to do so. I asked Uwana -- the only person I trust to cut my hair after a reeeeeally bad experience in college -- to cut it back to the healthy hair, then trim off a little more when it was a weird mid-length. In all? Over eight inches hit the floor. Maybe ten. I honestly don't know. I refused to look when she was done.

Heh.

But I like the new cut, and since it's basically a simple blunt cut -- though there's a bit of shaping that's nice -- it'll grow out easily whenever I want. That's all that really matters. Plus, it looks much healthier -- shiny all the way to the ends and without that kind of ragged, thinned-out look. Definitely better.

I will most likely change my mind the first time someone says its CUTE.

Anyway, then I went by Kristi's house to congratulate her on her incipient identical twins -- this is the same practically-family friend who had fraternal twins just three-ish years back -- and enjoy a weenie roast. The current twins are fricking adorable, and it was good to smooch on them a little.

Then, I hit Mom's. Her birthday is Tuesday, so I wanted to get down there for a little celebration. My beloved sister came over on Saturday, too, for the pseudo-party. I got Mom some of those nifty reed scent diffusers -- sandalwood (my favorite) and fresh linen (one of Mom's favorites) -- and Sis got her some awesome coffee. That's one of those things that they share. Coffee love.

And Mom reminded me how to crochet. Yup, crochet. It's been a long time. I couldn't remember how to do anything but chain. It didn't take long to fall back into the habit, though. Single crochet, anyway. I had to take double lessons on double crochet, because I kept forgetting the second yarn-over. Heh.

At any rate, I'd brought down a pattern for a crocheted stocking cap-type hat, and as of today, I've made three. The first two were practice -- and they're lumpy, crooked things -- but the third one is for keeps. I love it. I'm keeping it. As usual, once I got the hang of the design, I changed it for my own. I left out the middle part of the hat that I couldn't get to look like the pattern picture I'd printed out and just single crocheted a stovepipe-type striped section, instead. If I wanted, I could make a Cat in the Hat kind of hat now.

As of this moment, though, I don't want. Oi. Three hats in three days is too many. My fingers are darn near arthritic from the unaccustomed activity. Typing, I can do for hours on end. Crochet is a whole different level of finger exercise. Yeowch.

Anyway, I'm home and safe and, if not particularly looking forward to work, I'm at least willing to slouch my way in for another day. It'll do.

I guess.

6 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Claire said...

Your new haircut is so cute!! I can sense the pink fuzzy waves of cuteness from here, LOL.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

*SCOWL*

You...are such a potty word. And it's not like you haven't seen the haircut before, O Wretched Seed of Evil Nemesis of Mine. It's basically the same as in the one picture I've allowed to squeak -- ever so briefly -- onto the internet.

...

And it's NOT FRIGGIN PINK. I'm just sayin.

*mutters under breath, the only audible words of which are censored for explicit content*

*snerk*

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Pesh said...

Briefly, huh?

I can rectify that.

*glistening smile*

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Not. Cool.

*huge scowl*

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Bulma16 said...

"O Wretched Seed of Evil Nemesis of Mine."

Awww, Geeb!! You cared enough to make me a nickname!?! I'm touched to the very bottom of the black void that serves as my heart.

Pesh, you are so my new best friend!! I knew I should've saved a copy on my harddrive for blackmail, er, I mean dart practice-uh, third time's the charm!!-fond remembrance. Yeaa.I'm hoping living Vegeta's made you crazy enough to actually buy that...

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

You hope JITA made HER crazy? *snerk* What show have you been watching!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home