Friday, July 11, 2008

Dear Charlie:

Just watched Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, and I have two very important things to say about it.

1. Pesh and I are agreed that we could cut out the first minute or so of the movie, loop it to play repeatedly, and watch it for hours. Maybe days. Prince Nuada is perhaps the most manly-beautiful poetry I've seen in a long time. Not as buff as I usually like, but his fluidity of movement manages to make wirework look effortless and almost delicate.

2. Pesh and I also agree that it's kinda hard to root for the good guys in this one. Not Hellboy and Co. but the Feds. It's not that we wanted the Golden Army to bring about humanity's annihilation, but even a non-liberal non-tree-hugger like me has to admit that they have a point. If there were a truce between the races, we have most certainly broken it.

Otherwise, it's fun, fun, fun. The fight scenes are stylish, fast-paced, and energetic. The snark is thick enough to hack through with a machete. And Del Toro is once again a visionary. I gotta agree with Roger Ebert when he says that it'll be worth buying the DVD just to watch the Troll Market scenes in slo-mo. Who knows what you'll see when you can actually look at each creature at your leisure?

And Nuada is absolutely fine. I'm just sayin'.

And I think that, as much as I loved the first Hellboy, I have to say that I love the feel of this one more. I love the fantasy tone. The things that go bump in the night. The epic feel of humanity in opposition to pretty much everything else. And one lonely group of misfits at the center of it all, not belonging to either camp because one side hates them and the other wants to use them.

And it's Ron Perlman. Seriously. I'd watch that man in a soap opera. And I'd pretty much rather remove my own spleen with a toothpick and a blowtorch than watch a soap opera.

Good times. Highly entertaining. Was it perfect? Nope. But damn if it wasn't fun.

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Pesh said...

Prince Nuada is a wet dream on a knife. He might cut you, but it'll be so much fun to watch him do it, you won't care.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie.

And, I know this again shows my geek side, but I love how they incorporated the idea of elf shot into Nuada's spear. They used to believe that even a single dart the size of your fingernail could kill, not because it was poisoned but because it would magically slip through your skin and make its way unerringly to your heart.

Just a neat little bit of trivia that I was pleased to see included in a different way. Very cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home