Monday, May 12, 2008

Funny Sidebar:

Okay, you all know I'm a little hesitant -- read: stubborn as a mule -- on the subject of the DragonBall live-action movie. As far as I'm concerned, the only way a mainstream movie of my beloved DBZ characters would work is in CGI, so the original voice actors (of whatever language you grew up with) could stay the same and the energy effects would blend in with the action without looking blatant.


However, my hesitance...heh...just took a turn for the worse.


If you saw this wanted poster:







Would you then arrest this man?




I'm thinking...no. The two bear absolutely no resemblence to each other. In fact, if I didn't know the second was supposed to be the first, I would have never equated the two.


This bothers me.


You see, the studmuffin pictured first is the hero of the show. That second guy? Who knows?

Look, I'll admit that my bad feelings have turned out to nothing countless times. I have been wrong before and take no shame from admitting such. For all I know, this kid may pull a Robert Downey, Jr. on me and so own my beloved Kakarot that I'll wonder what I ever heard in Sean Schemmel's voice acting that so iconically made him Goku for me.


It could happen.


But on this fine, dwindling evening, I'm not feelin' it. I'm not feelin' it at all. I initially -- and perhaps rashly -- promised to watch the DragonBall live-action out of sheer loyalty. I'm thinking I may have to break that promise, unless something from the admired and hilarious Stephen Chow changes my mind. But it'll have to be something pretty darn astonishing to make up for...for...*looks up at second mugshot*...THAT.


Ugh.

5 Comments:

At 5:17 AM, Anonymous Darcalus said...

hey there. i tried to post last night but my isp is a joke. anyway, i'm not sure what to say about that "goku". i guess having low expectations only means that you can only be pleasantly surprised? love the site, i look forward to checking it out when i get more time.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Whaddup, D? Ya know, that's probably why I loved Transformers so much. I had such a low expectation of everything other than the robots themselves that I couldn't help but be hugely impressed with how well they did with the material. I'm kinda hoping that's how it'll be here, though...ugh...my poor, poor Goku....

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Wonderwood said...

Hey, GeeBee! How you doing? I hope all is well with you. Hey, guess what? You've been tagged. Not my idea, so don't blame me, but I did choose you, so I guess I'm guilty there. Check my blog if you're wondering what the heck I'm talking about.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Zojojojo said...

I could die.

Its not even Dbz in all its action glory. Its set at the end of Dragonball.

IN A HIGH SCHOOL.

Why? For the love of Nameks, why?!

It can only be a disaster. They're getting people from shows like Buffy and Lost to play in the main roles.

Let me repeat. A high school. It will fail, and I will be ashamed as a fan of what they will have done to the concept.

I doubt they can pull it off. Some things just can't be.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

*sigh* I know. It can only be bad. But they're bound and determined, so we're stuck with whatever they come up with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home