Sunday, April 27, 2008

Dear Charlie:

Considering that my beloved sister made it here and back home without incident, I count yesterday a success.

Heh, but that's not the only reason. Just the best one.

So Sis and I got a good hour to just yak, uninterrupted, before heading over to IHOP for lunch with the gang. We weren't sure the vendors at the Ren Faire would take credit cards, and not all of us carry around cash (or have easy access to it, thanks to PIN numbers that don't friggin work...*grumblegrumble*), so we wanted to make sure we were all fed before trapping ourselves amongst the good food smells of monster turkey legs and lots of ale. Heh.

We introduced all around and had a few...okay, a bunch...of laughs. Then, we hit the faire. Now, keep in mind that this is a first in this area, but even so, there were quite a few tents set up with all sorts of stuff to gawk at.

Of course, it wasn't as well-populated as a long-standing Ren Fest. No jousting on horseback. No professionally choreographed sword fights. *sigh*

But there were weapons galore -- some even sharpened -- and lots of folk running around in everything from peasant garb to Goth lord gear. Heh. Admittedly, some people shouldn't wear certain things -- I'm thinking gold-and-black-striped tights with no codpiece, a particularly low-cut peasant blouse on a rather plump peasant girl, and a gypsy costume on a girl whose belly button gem I could have done without seeing -- but all in all, it was good fun.

I talked Sis into a really cool leather wrist cuff with silver studs and a neat silver heart. I got a cool set of tiny knives with stylized dragon hilts in a faux-leather carrying case. Pesh talked herself out of a set of knives, the blades of which are each hidden in the other's hilts, so when together, they look like a single, smooth rod of wood. Very cool. She'll probably kick herself for not getting them, later.

Then again, this is the woman who can cut herself on frosting, so it's probably for the best. Heh.

We hefted flails. Ogled hand-made boots. I was repeatedly tortored with clothing possibilities that truly were NOT possibilities at all.

I think the worst of the latter was a purple glittery...thing...with jingly little hangy-downies and very, very little fabric. Ugh. Or maybe the lime green satin bra-like top with lots of embroidery and tassles. Egad.

There were high quality goods, of course, but since none of us could remotely afford any of them, it was kinda hard to really look without worrying about the "you break it, you buy it" policy. Heh.

So, we walked around. Talked. Gawked. Laughed at this or cringed at that. Had a Woodchuck, which was described to me as "cider with an attitude" and which tasted like particularly cidery champagne, which is all right by me (though I usually like beer/ale better). Raised a Killian's Irish Red to the queen, who was appropriately regal. Walked a couple of miles back and forth among the tents, which seemed to increase in number over the course of the day. Debated a particularly nice wakizashi (or a short katana, whichever nomenclature you prefer) and eventually talked myself out of it, though the price was quite reasonable.

Had a good time.

And for the first time in years, I actually got a touch of sunburn. It's already faded into plain ol' tan, just overnight, but it's been a long time since I had to worry about that. Heh, I just don't burn, even without suntan lotion. But my nose was pink last night, which I found hilarious.

Anyway, we're all hoping the Faire comes back next year, because it'll only get better. And because Edy and Dave are likely already choreographing a more appropriate sword fight with which to dazzle the masses. And because it was a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon, outdoors and active and together with friends.

We should all have more days like that. Don't you think?

2 Comments:

At 5:46 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

A huge sucess in more ways than one, definitely! I had a blast, Sis. Thanks for letting me tag along!

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

I miss Ren Faire. Don't have one up in back of beyond Maine, and I get little time off in Summer. *pouty frown* glad you had a great time, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home