Saturday, April 19, 2008

Dear Charlie:

1500 new words. Doesn't seem like much production for almost a week when I can usually put out that much in a single evening -- hell, in a couple of hours. But these words didn't come easy, and I have a feeling they'll come much faster now.

Why?

Well, they didn't come easy because it had been almost a year since I wrote in this particular story. In this particular set of Voices. Since I let myself think in this universe, play by its rules. Since I stroked down the Ino-zo's smooth-muscled flank.

And they'll come faster now because I think I'm finally tapping back into that world. Into the feel and the flow. And I might actually have the right mind for it now. The right...way with words and timing. Maybe.

I'm still debating whether or not I'll use much of the language I created for my beloved Inodin. I love the words, and I think they have a ring, but you know how the science fiction and/or fantasy community looks down on phony languages in a book. Heh, check out the Turkey City Lexicon if you don't believe me. I may have to kill that particular darling, but I'll worry about that when I get to it. I may just be able to scale it back to honestly non-translatable and strictly Inodin words.

Not too much sacrifice. *wibbles*

At any rate, I'm wading slowly back in. Taking my time. Enjoying the world I built and wondering how much of it should be revealed up front and how much I can save for later. And...yes, and hoping.

We'll see how it goes. I don't want to get too excited up front. Don't want to be disappointed when that rat bastard of a Muse turns his back again.

The big jerk.

In other news, I just found out that a very, very close friend of mine got some hideously bad news. Her daughter -- an adorable little spitfire of a redhead -- was recently diagnosed with leukemia. Now, they've already started chemo, and she's a stubborn little bink who could likely overcome death itself to prove someone wrong. But she's so young and so very precious. If everyone could keep her and her mother in your thoughts, I would certainly appreciate it.

I know they both have my prayers.

4 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Hugs to that family and I'll definitely keep them in my prayers. (E-mail their names if you think about it.)

Yay for the Ino-zo!!!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

Hi Gutterball! I say use a made up language in your fantasy. You just have to make it work well. Don't over do it or make it impossible to follow. I think the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) rule applies. But if you do it well, it won't be a darling but a bit of radical world building. It was good enough for Tolkein, it can be good enough for your fantasy, too.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger writtenwyrdd said...

Oh, and re your friends' child, there is lots of hope. My cousin had leukemia at 8 and is forty-something now. I'll send good energy their way, too.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts, WW. The doctors already say she's doing astonishingly well. She's halfway through chemo now, so they can start kind of projecting her progress, and they're saying everything is green.

I know this little girl, and she's an absolute pistol, so I doubt something as pissy as leukemia will have her down for long. But bless her heart, it's just not fair for her to have to do it. Not that it's fair for anyone, of course, but hey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home