Saturday, January 05, 2008

Dear Charlie:

Well, my New Year has been an action thrill ride. Almost literally.

Okay, I've just been watching action flicks and writing a novel I never thought to even tiptoe into, but hey. The action flicks have been flippin awesome. Lemme give you a list:

The Transporter
The Transporter 2
The Italian Job
War
Crank
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Snatch


What do all of these adrenaline-fests have in common, besides the adrenaline? You guessed it: Jason Statham. I wasn't on the bandwagon before, having only seen the two Transporters and The Italian Job, but after adding the others to the assessment pool (and the fun of seeing him and Jet Li go at it in War for the first time since The One, which I forgot to list), I have to say that I'm reformed. Mr. Statham is incredible.

Who else gleefully admits that they don't mind being typecast, so long as they eventually get to actually FINISH a sex scene? I mean, seriously.

Besides Mr. Statham, these flicks all have action, for which I am a junkie. I also watched Mindhunters again (LL Cool J cracks me up in roles like that; he's also the reason I watch Deep Blue Sea, and one of these days I will find out what you're supposed to add to eggs for the perfect omelet, since water is a mistake, heh), Smokin' Aces (you get Ryan Reynolds and Ray Liotta in the same movie; what's cooler than that?), a bizzaro American-made-French-half-CGI thing called Immortel, and a couple of cheesy horror movies that made me smile.

Good times, man. Good times.

A friend let me borrow most, for which I am eternally grateful. Nothing better than writing an out-of-your-genre book while watching stuff blow up, car chases from Hell, and Jason Statham flying-kick someone right out the screen. Or Jet Li, for that matter. I could watch that man kick ass all day and never get tired, even on those (thankfully rare) occasions when I get up to see if I can even approximate the moves.

In all, a great way to spend the first week of 2008. 4,000 new words in a new story and at least 6 new action movies under my belt, not counting the ones I'd already seen. I'd like to get in to Alien vs. Predator: Requiem sometime this week, but that depends on the funds. And National Treasure: Book of Secrets. And Sweeney Todd. Damn.

Anyway, with the possibility of a theater flick in mind, I didn't rent Shoot 'Em Up, for which I will burn in Action Movie Hell but which had to be sacrificed for Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. You know, to stay in the Jason Statham theme.

*sigh* So many movies, so little time. Heheh.

Oh, yeah -- sometime I'll also have to blog about my New Year's Eve, which included much fun with the friends, a little DragonBall Z quoting/reinacting, and a possessed pair of goggles. But that's a whole 'nother story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home