Thursday, December 13, 2007

Dear Charlie:

Sorry for the absense lately, but I haven't had power since early Sunday morning. Yes, I missed the Chiefs game. *sigh* Yes, I've been a little nippy.

However, I've been extremely lucky. My water still works, though my water heater doesn't. I have a gas range, so I've been able to cook, so long as my matches hold out. Plus, while almost all of the trees in my yard were dragged down to toothpicks and shrapnel by crushing, encasing ice, only one landed on my roof and all missed my car. Holy cow!

And the one that hit my roof didn't do much damage. I probably won't even turn it into the insurance company, what with the deductible and what a claim would do to my rates. *grin*

So I escaped serious damage and have everything but heat and hot water. Plus, friends have kicked in and offered places to shower and sleep. So, I'm sitting pretty. Internetless for the most part, but pretty.

Don't worry about me! They're checking the lines behind my house as I type, so it's conceivable -- not probable, but at least possible -- that I might have power tomorrow.

The funniest thing, though, is that the power's been off at work, too, so I've been really dislocated from everything. I'm only spending a few hours at home every day, and I've been sent to another office in my company's complex during working hours. I've been sleeping either bundled up beyond belief at home with no digital clock on the ol' bedside or at someone else's house (which means I'm not really sleeping) for several days. It's just...weird. Not bad, per se, just weird.

I don't have any idea what day it is, really. Or what time. Of course, it's dark so early that it feels much later in the day than it really is. But it all adds up to just this general sense of dislocation. Weird, huh?

Anyway, again, no worries. I'm alive, if not precisely clicking on all eight cylinders. Doing a lot of reading by candle light, which is fun. As Gloria Gaynor said, I will survive.

*grin*

And until then, enjoy the silence! It doesn't happen around me often!

1 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Hugs, Sis!!! Sending lots of warm hugs and cozy thoughts your way! If you need anything, you could always come stay with us!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home