Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Dear Charlie:

Yes, it lives!

But it's been busy as hell. Oi. Hopefully, things will calm down a bit so I can kick back and crank out my 1000 words a day with my beloved sister, Anna, and my other friends. Sure, I can crank out 17,000 on a weekend day, but most days, I'm at the office for 9 hours -- sometimes 12 or even 13 -- and by the time I get home, I'm pretty much wiped.

However, I'm trying not to let that stop me. I'm trying to avoid a repeat of what happened with my last work in progress. On that poor darling, I wrote like gangbusters, got it probably 3/4 of the way done...then went on hiatus for like two months. Yikes!

Worse, I then wrote the last 1/4 in a single day. Not. Good.

I mean, it's good that it's done, and I'll take a finished product any way I can get it, but that's just not healthy.

So, 1000 words a day. Seems like a reasonable plan.

The only problem is my contrary nature. That core of solid spite that I can hide, that I can mask, that I can usually swallow and follow my second, more noble impulse. See, as soon as I joined this group and stated my goals in print [so to speak], I started typing like 2000 a day...on another project. One not on my list.

Geez.

So this week, despite the lengthy working hours on Monday and Tuesday, I'm staying ON TASK. I'm not just looking for the 1000 words. That's not the point. The point is some words every day on task. I have three current projects -- two novels and a short story -- and I want to work only on them. That's already two too many, heh.

So, just a drop-in blog to update my Chiefs scoreboard in the sidebar and to say that I have no idea when I'll update again, what with three projects buzzing around in my head. It's hard to be amusing [at least, I hope this thing is amusing!] when three different sets of voices are clamoring around in your head.

At work, I like to tell people that it's not the voices in my head that disturb me, but the voices in theirs. But I have a secret: it's not true!

Heh. Okay, time to write!

1 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

1K on *any* project every day is still quite an accomplishment! Of course, I know you have things you want to finish (and I selfishly want to read!!). I hope the club helps you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home