Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dear Charlie:

I'm doing this meme -- one of maybe 10 I've done in the almost three years I've plugged away at this blog -- both because it's not repulsive and because I feel like it. And because I have something else I want to talk about and got sidetracked by Paperback Writer.

That happens a lot. She usually has good stuff going on there.

Anyway, first things first.

Four jobs I've had or currently have in my life:

1. Babysitter (listed because of its horror movie connotation)
2. Paralegal
3. Medical records clerk
4. Sandwich slinger

Four countries I've been to:

1. Germany
2. Italy
3. Austria
4. Czech Republic

Four places I'd rather be right now:

1. Pangaea
2. Stormhold
3. Montana
4. DBZ world

Four foods I like to eat:

1. Scrambled eggs
2. Filet mignon
3. Scallops
4. Surprisingly, sushi

Four personal heroes, past or present:

1. My sister
2. Jane Austin
3. The real 300 Spartans
4. Albert Einstein

Four books I've read or am currently reading:

1. The Collected Works of William Shakespeare
2. The Bible (KJV)
3. IT by Stephen King
4. The Sun Sign Personality Guide by Robin MacNaughton

Four words or phrases I would like to see used more often:

1. Frack-tacular
2. This movie rocks. 'Nuff said. (this by any actual movie critic)
3. The truth is... (followed by the actual truth)
4. Damn, Mols, you rule.

Four reasons for ending a friendship:

1. Betrayal
2. Dishonesty
3. Maliciousness
4. Terrorism

Four smells that make me feel good about the world:

1. Sandalwood
2. Fresh-baked bread
3. Rainstorms
4. Baking sugar

PBW's question: Four favorite activities I did as a kid:

1. Climbing trees
2. Riding horses
3. Fishing and swimming in the same pond
4. Camping

See? That wasn't so bad. Not terribly lengthy, and you didn't learn a thing about me you didn't already know. No harm, no foul.

But the real reason I started to post at all today is because I went to see Stardust this weekend and gave it my obligatory couple of days to settle before commenting on it. It's been a couple of days, and I'm ready to blurt.

First off, this movie isn't quite as advertised. It's not a light-hearted, romantic romp. It's not kid's fare.

If I'd known Neil Gaiman was involved, I would've had a lot better idea what to expect, and I'd have probably tried to see it sooner. I recently read one of his Sandman comic collections, and the one about Dream and the Glow and losing out to a star...well, that's the one that stands out the most, and the one that came in the most handy for this flick.

Anyway, put simply, I loved this movie. It surprised me -- pleasantly. I expected light-hearted comedic romance. I got snark, dark humor, hilarity, and a walloping good time. And Septimus, of course. I'm thinking I'd watch this movie ten times for Septimus. Heh.

Even the romance was better than I expected. More real. Less "magic". Less froofy, if that makes sense. They don't even particularly like each other at first. He has no interest in her beyond how she can impress his girl. She has absolutely no interest in him. They...sort of get off on the wrong foot.

The whole movie is off the wrong foot. Heh. Which is why it's fun.

Captain Shakespeare. Oh. My. God. If I didn't admire the hell out of Robert DeNiro before, I most certainly would now. That guy...just...wow. Best performance ever.

And Septimus. Cunning, wicked, snarky, and suddenly prankish, this seventh brother -- if you didn't guess from the name -- is absolute gold. All of the brothers, from Primus to Septimus, are a riot, but the youngest...oh, yeah. He has those understated good looks that are so right up my alley, plus the wicked cunning I admire...and an accent. Yeah. I'm smitten. The Heartless Wonder has lost her heart.

*sigh*

The plot is fun. The effects are spectacular. The magic is a riot -- I'll never forget the witch sisters disemboweling a critter and really digging into those entrails for scrying details. The humor is frack-tacular. DeNiro is a gem, heh. The ending is spot-on. Perfect. And despite The Big Misunderstanding thanks to a deliberately vague note, I love the set-up anyway.

This is a great movie. It's pure entertainment. Maybe that's why I like so many movies -- I'm easily entertained. But you know what? I wouldn't change it for anything in the world.

...

Itty bitty Septimus!

2 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Hugs, you're my hero too!

Stardust sounds like a great movie. Definitely on my to-buy list!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Devgel Zo said...

"Frack-tacular"

GRIIIIN

Big hugs, Neechan. Like Joely, you're my hero too.

Will plug away at current Devgel story during short little vac...life has been chaos and fail, and I'm sorry I haven't sent an email lately.

*I are shame*

Big hugs, and will make plans to see Stardust soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home