Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sidebar:

As I have trained myself, I've allowed a couple of days to pass between The Experience and The Write-up of Said Experience. I am, of course, talking about the watching of Transformers and the reviewing of it.

See, I've found that if I review immediately upon getting home from a movie, I don't really have anything constructive to say. I usually just gush. I love movies. Even bad ones, so long as they don't completely crap all over the credibility line. I mean, I'll buy a lot. I can so suspend disbelief right out of this world. But really. There is a line, and some have crossed it.

At any rate, I've just learned to let a movie sit a few days. Watch it again, maybe. Read some reviews to see if I jibe with any of them.

Then, I'll work up a review in my mind. Then, I'll sit down and look for links and even images, on occasion. Then, I'll say what I really think.

Unfortunately, in this instance, what I really think is pretty much the same as what I thought upon exit from the theater. This movie RULES.

I can't help it. I was of the Transformers generation, but I'm flexible enough to think the new designs are how the old designs should have been. They're more practical, I guess, even though they're more complex. They look like moving parts, like interlocking pieces, like if you took an Autobot apart piece by piece, you could actually put it back together again as a truck. I love it.

I'm also easily entertained enough to get a kick out of the dialogue and some of the visual humor. Apparently, a lot of people were really bothered by the scene where Sam's parents get into a low-scale disagreement about masturbation, but it didn't bother me. I thought it was a hilarious look at how parents approach that particular discussion. Sure, Sam's a little old to talk about jerkin' the gerkin with his mom, but his dad's reaction is spot-on. It's a guy thing. Heh.

As far as the reviewers go, I've read the good and the bad, the positive and the negative, and I think this is the best. It comes closest to pegging my own feelings on the matter. Sure, this flick probably shouldn't be as rioting good fun as it is, but I love it anyway. I can't wait to watch it again. Seriously.

Pure entertainment. God love it. Bring it on.

And just for the record, I never watched Pearl Harbor because I don't do dramas, and I severely disliked Armageddon except for Bruce Willis, but I got a huge kick out of The Rock. So sue me.

3 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Devgel Zo said...

I just watched Transformers for the second time...three days after the first time.

Who cares that there's more product placement than Times Square? Its still cool, still fun, and there are giant-ass robots. What more do we want?

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Amen! Bring on the giant-ass robots!

I'm ashamed to admit to how many times I've watched it, but I'll say flat out that I only paid for 3/5 of them. I was a guest on the other occasions. And 2/3 of the remaining times were matinee.

*bluuuuush*

And I want to see it again. How terrible is that?? I mean, I could have gone to the Japanese steak house, but noooooooo. I just had to go see it again.

*facepalm*

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

PS: You know, fractions look more like fractions when they do that MS Word shrinky-dink thing.

*glares at big numbers*

Like I NEED help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home