Thursday, July 05, 2007

Dear Charlie:

You know, if you ask me right out if I like country music, my answer will be a resounding NO. I like rock, thank you very much. I like hard rock, heavy metal, classic rock, alternative, even some grunge. Hell, I'll even listen to rap in a pinch, but only Eminem. God, that little guy is funny.

But country? Hell no.

Except for Willie Nelson. And Hank Williams. Oh, and Hank Williams, Jr., of course. And Johnny Cash. And Charlie Pride. Love Charlie Pride. Merle Haggard. And Randy Travis. And the Oak Ridge Boys. And Alabama. And the Charlie Daniels Band. And Clint Black and George Strait. And some Garth Brooks. Little Patsy Cline. Dolly Parton. Etc.

...

Ahem.

But see, there's this big swath of country music that I don't like. A whole generation there. And I think it's all Shania Twain's fault. Isn't that weird?

I mean, seriously. Someone asked me just the other day if I liked country, and I replied, "God, no!" without skipping a beat. And then I remembered that I got my friends listening to country in high school. I won a singing competition imitating Patsy Cline, for God's sake. I actually love country music.

Real country music.

See, that's the difference right there. I love real rock, too. But put on some of that girl-group-bubble-gum-pop crap, and I'll turn the station faster than I'm driving. Britney Spears? Please. Light doesn't move faster than my finger on that button when that little tart comes on.

And it's the same with country. I like a lot of country. A broad spectrum. But you get that recycled, wanna-be pop country booming out the speakers? Pass. And no line-dancing, either. I got enough of that crap in high school and the first year of college. Geez.

But you put on some John Anderson? I'm there. I'll even sit through some Toby Keith.

But the all-time BEST country song ever done? The one I'll stop in a store to listen to all the way through?

The Mississippi Squirrel Revival. Frackin priceless, man.

Ironically enough, there's a rock counterpart to that. A song that, no matter when, no matter where, I will stop stock-still to listen.

Everybody Was Kung-fu Fighting.

...

What?

2 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Got a squirrel in your fruit of the looms?

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Lord, have mercy on me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home