Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Dear Charlie:

Okay, I'm convinced.

After reading 4 Darkyn novels in 3 days -- two days of which were plagued by a migraine so bad I didn't trust myself to drive -- I am firmly convinced that Lynn Viehl cannot possibly be real. She is simply entirely too cool to truly exist.

These are not your ordinary erotic romances. It's not your usual series. Sure, there are returning characters running around a new couple for each book, but...damn, how to explain....

Okay, it's like this: these books are not really about the couples. They're about the world. They're about the intrigue between what's good and what's evil and why there's never any absolute for either so long as humans are involved. They're about ancient, noble kings and gallant folk heroes crashing headlong into modern-day people just trying to make a buck, to stay a step ahead of the druggies and crazies, to make a difference in their own world without knowing what that means.

Without knowing about the Darkyn. Without knowing about the Brethren.

So yes, while each novel ostensibly revolves around a target couple, the books themselves simply continue to tell the story. They aren't just about sex and lovely people and a couple finding their way to happily-ever-after. They're about finding a cure for a disease long thought a holy taint. They're about reversing the damage wrought by time itself. They're about filling in the gaps of history with the truth...a truth untainted by the Light.

God, I could read a hundred of these novels and not know enough.

So many kudos on these books, O Fabulous Paperback Writer. I now have to search and devour the StarDoc series. Forgive me while I shove my nose into another nest of books.

5 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Night Lost was my favorite yet, carrying through Alex's dilemma with Richard, yet a "new" couple's romance is twined above or beneath. Loved it!

I just happen to have all of the StarDoc books... :-) So borrow them any time.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Hugs on the migraine. Is it better?

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Pesh said...

I'm jealous. I've been reading the Blood series. I don't have any clue how they're sucking me in. (I must be really bored at work.)

The stories are entertaining enough, but the writing is atrocious! There can be three POV's on a single page without any separation beyond a paragraph. The typos even litter the introductions and aknowledgments. The characters fall into knee-slapping laughter or seething rage when a giggle or a scowl would do. And, the whole mess is presented like a movie, not a novel.

I believe they were written in the late eighties, but dang. It even gives hope to a hack like me to see these disasters published.

Anyhoo, are you going to be up to the flick this weekend?

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Sis: Woot! And yeah, the migraine's better. The headache at work isn't, but at least it's a mental headache. Heh.

Pesh: Abso-floggin-lutely. I can't wait. I gotta work Friday afternoon...grrrr...and I have a birthday party Saturday night, but think we could maybe catch a Saturday matinee? Or anything on Sunday?

Dammit! I forgot to call Dave!

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Pesh said...

Any time is fine by me. Edy is working all weekend, so I'm up for grabs whenever you have time. Hell, we could do an evening show tomorrow if you so choose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home