Friday, May 25, 2007

Dear Charlie:

I beg movie-goers not to let the "reviewers" bias them when it comes to Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. I can't see what all the fuss is about. I was highly entertained, even though the movie is really really long.

Is it the best movie I've ever seen? Nope. But did that trifling detail stop me from raving over 300 or Kung Fu Hustle, etc.? Sometimes movies are just fun, and that's all they're meant to be. Why is that such a difficult concept?

This movie...well, it kinda felt like coming home. Without giving too much detail, I caught myself saying things like, "That's why Jack said the whole 'Clearly you've never been to Singapore' thing!" and "That would be why the rum's always gone" and "Now I can see why those two couldn't end up on the same ship without a fight over who's captain!" I caught myself linking images and lines and history from the first and second movies.

In a way, it's almost like Star Wars III. I felt that sense of homecoming then, too. Everything from the starting space battle to the musical cues to the Emperial soldiers' bland grey uniforms. There's something whimsical about it. Something almost soothing. It's good to come home, and it was good to settle into this movie for the longer scenes that others will probably call "bloated" or "overdone" or just plain too long.

The trip to Davy Jones' Locker, for instance. Sure, there's a lot to it. But I wouldn't have missed the Singaporean ship sailing through a sea full of stars for anything in the world. I just leaned back in my chair and smiled softly. It was incredible.

And then there's the strangely Salvadore Dali-like scene of Jack's time in the Locker. In a way, it makes perfect sense, even though you wonder what the hell is going on. It makes sense later. Sort of. Heh. But damn if it ain't fun to watch, and damn if I didn't "get" it.

And there's always the Black Pearl. God, I love that ship. It has almost become a symbol, even to the characters in the film. I root for her almost as much as for the "heroes". I feel every cannonball that pierces her spars.

Hell, I even felt for the Kraken. How could anyone do that to an old friend??

OH! And don't forget The. Best. Wedding. EVER. I might even consider getting married if I could have a wedding like that! Woot!

Pieces of Eight. Mass hangings. Pirate honor. The Keeper of the Code. The beautiful, continual betrayals. Vows and blunderbuses. Dueling telescopes, for God's sake!

And we end where we began. I'm telling you: it's a homecoming.

It's more serious than the others, though it's still hilarious in places. It's more dark. Less Disney. I mean, they hang a child. Soooooo not Disney. But it's still swashbuckling. It's still soaked in saltwater. It's still chock full of legend and honor and the clash between Freedom and Progress, between mythology and reason.

And it's still Jack. Inarguably, adorably, rum-soakedly Jack.

What's not to like?

2 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Pesh said...

I saw Pirates! I saw Pirates!

Yarr! What a wedding indeed!

^_^

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

*grin*

What'd I say?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home