Friday, March 30, 2007

Dear Charlie:

Mayflies are copulating en masse on my porch.

And do you ever get the feeling that you're on hiatus? That you're just kind of waiting for something to happen? That things...that your life is stuck in transit?

The next thing. That's all I'm asking for.

I know exactly what it is, though, so I know it's only temporary. I am waiting. I'm waiting for it to be time to proclaim the book edited enough to send it out. It's hard, I tell you. Writers must, by nature, be spontaneous, and my spontaneity is screaming at me that it surely couldn't hurt to send the manuscript out on a little test run.

But it could. It definitely could hurt.

So, I'm ruthlessly quashing that voice. I'm letting a few people read and comment. I'm letting it simmer while doing a relatively shallow edit. Ironically, I'm cutting instead of adding, like I'm supposed to. I got so used to vicious pruning when I had elephantus librus that it's hard not to trim the fat now.

But I've also identified a few places that do need more narrative. I tend to let my dialogue do the talking, if you'll pardon the pun, and I could really stand to throw in some description or setting or even just character movement during some of those conversations.

So, it's going well. I'm just impatient. Heh. Never could stand in line without fidgeting, you know.

And about the mayflies? No, I'm not exaggerating. I just got back from errand-running and had to walk through a veritable cloud of them, all paired off and stuck together at the butt. I think I was blushing, but I can't be sure.

Gah.

Anyway, while I was out, I picked up a couple of books to read. I love to read. I'm pretty sure I've said that before. Like a hundred times. But I stopped by Changing Hands, my favorite used book store, and spent a good half-hour in there.

If you know me and my loathing of shopping, you'd know that's damn near a record. Heh. But I console me that it's a book store and one of only three places I'd rather be.

So, I plan to kinda veg out this afternoon. My work schedule has changed so I should usually have Fridays off, thanks to working all the late nights earlier in the week, and I'm trying to take advantage of that to get "official" stuff done that I can't do on weekends. It's hard, because all I wanna do by the time Friday rolls around is sleep!

Anyway, now that I'm inside and out of view of the smut-fest on my porch, I think I'll stay here. Maybe invite Pesh over for a movie night if she still has The Prestige. Woot!

Hopefully, the orgy on the porch will be over by then.

1 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Hang in there, Sis. It's hard to know the right time. You want it polished, but on the other hand, it will never be "perfect." Eventually, you'll just bite the bullet. You'll know when it's time! And with such a fantastic story, you MUST query it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home