Saturday, March 17, 2007

Dear Charlie:

Well, I finally got out to see 300, and all I can say is...wow.

Okay, that's not all I can say, or this would be a really short post. And by the time I'm done, you'll probably be wishing it was. Heh. Here's what someone I happen to agree with says about the flick:

300 is about as subtle as a spear through the head. But it's also shamelessly entertaining, and not a bad way to make time move a little faster.

Shamelessly entertaining. I'll second that. I loved every minute of this movie, which may surprise some of you after my rhapsodizing on Jane Eyre a day or so ago. That movie is all plot. This movie is all action.

But oh...the action....

If nothing else, the flick is visually stunning. I could probably watch it without sound and still be enthralled. For that's what I was as I watched -- enthralled. I'm fairly certain I looked mildly retarded to anyone crazy enough to pull their eyes from the screen and look around. But since I'm pretty sure everyone else was as riveted as I was, I guess it's okay.

I just couldn't get over how...mythically real they made this. Sure, you know it's CGI and blue screen and movie tricks, but...who cares? It looks frickin great.

The battles...oh, the stylized battles. Blood and bone and spears and swords. Death cries and killing roars. The clash of metal, the snap of broken bodies. Oh, and "immortal" is no longer a technical term. It's more a...guideline. Like the Pirate Code.

And then, there are the Spartans themselves. Trained from the cradle to be warriors, their bodies are implements of death. Take away their weapons, and they just have to find more creative ways to kill you. Take away their creative ways to kill you, and they'll simply beat your head against a rock until you die from it. Take away the rocks, and...well, you get the idea. They are killing machines, and they are oiled to perfection.

And some of them are quite pretty to look at. What? I have eyes, ya know!

But there also exists honor in this film. A fight for freedom. Refusal to kneel, to submit, to give in. Understanding of the difference between glory in shackles and glory in battle. Honor. Dignity. Courage. Glory.

Brutal, bloody glory.

Yes, my heart was pumping as I walked out of the theater. No, I couldn't stop quoting lines and describing battle scenes and mimicking battle poses. Yes, I will watch it again -- perhaps even on the big screen, though even the matinee prices have gone up. No, I won't not rearrange my movie shelves to make room for this one.

Shamelessly entertaining. Indeed. I feel no shame in admitting that I enjoyed 300 immensely. And if I could draw, I would so be sketching Stelios in flight, spear poised for the killing strike, cloak flying out behind him, maniacal smile on his mouth.

Beauty in that savagery, I tell you.

3 Comments:

At 6:00 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

WOW. I would love to see it! Sounds like a great inspiration movie to have in the background when writing a battle scene. :-)

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

And I have GOT to get that musical score! I mean, damn. It was almost heavy metal while they slaughtered the Persians. Definitely death-dealing music. I'll need it for the next fight to the death I write.

Woot!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Wonderwood said...

Hey GB! Hey, I saw your comment on EE's blog, and no, I don't have your email. I thought I'd find it here on you blog, but nope. Anyway, email me, if you'd be so kind, so I will have it, and I'll email you back with my question. Thanks! johnburke62@bellsouth.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home