Thursday, February 08, 2007

Dear Charlie:

I have WAY too many movies.

I was tempted to title this post "Dear God", but this isn't the Letters to God blog, so I stuck to the tried and true. But I was thinking "Dear God!" by the time I finally sat down to type.

See, I love movies. I rarely watch TV besides football and Heroes, but I watch movies all the time. I have no particular taste and am easily amused by the tiniest thing, so most movies (except chick flicks, for the most part) are fair game. Especially horror movies.

Anyway, I get most of them used or for birthdays/Christmas/various other gifty-type holidays, but I do still buy some new -- mainly those I simply can't wait for. So ,I have quite the collection. My DVDs especially are piling up.

Well, thanks to my beloved sister, I finally have a spare bookshelf -- those are hard to come by, considering that I love books as much if not more than movies, heh -- to fill with my VHS flicks so I could actually put my DVDs on the shelves in the entertainment center instead of stacking them on the floor below, making it impossible to get to the little cabinet doors where I hide my treasured DragonBall Z collection.

What. A. Fiasco.

It wouldn't have been so bad if I weren't so friggin anal retentive. But since I was bringing some sort of order to the chaos, nothing would do but I alphabetize, too. Thus, the VHS shelving took several trips and several replacements.

I should've been a librarian. In fact, I did contemplate implementing the Dewey Decimal system, but I talked myself out of it because I don't have a label-maker. But it was a very close thing.

The DVDs were worse. See, the entertainment center's shelves are really deep and tall, so I figured I'd kinda stair-step two rows of DVDs on each shelf so they'd all fit. Keep in mind that these shelves are probably only a foot and a half or so wide, but they're easily that deep and tall. I basically have three square shelves to deal with.

So, I took an old shoebox, cut the lid and bottom in half, and started stair-stepping in alphabetical order. The first shelf was gravy. By the second shelf, I realized that even the shoebox lid was too tall to fit the DVD boxes on because it was actually shorter than the top shelf, so I cut it down a bit, then had to brace it from below with what I'd cut off. Lordy.

Plus, I got all the way to the Ms before realizing that I'd missed...a D. Crap.

So I had to adjust two whole rows' worth without disturbing the weak support I'd stuffed under the makeshift step. Not easy. And I found an F when I got to the Ts, so I was all ticked off again, and it took 4 row-shifts to correct that mess.

I gotta stop being so damn picky. But I figure if I'm going to do it, I'm damn well gonna do it right. And from the front, you'd never know I used an old shoebox to shore it up.

Naturally, when I get to a hardware store, I'll buy and cut lengths of wood to replace the shoeboxes. Cardboard is good for now, but imagine if the next movie I can't stand to live without starts with a G?

I'll just have to move.

2 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

I've seen you cut up peaches and apples for cobbler, so I know exactly how "meticulous" you can be!!

I'll just have to move.

Cackles. Wonder where I heard that before? So to get you to move closer to me, I'll just send you a movie starting with G.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

That's just not cool, Sis. On either count!

I'm really not that anal retentive about everything! My house wouldn't resemble a rummage sale most of the time if that were true!

It's just...ya know...quality control. If I'm gonna do it, it's gonna be right or what's the point?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home