Monday, January 08, 2007

Sidebar:

Well, I think I'll survive.

Survive from what, you ask? Why, from that quick and dirty stomach flu that everyone seems to have that I managed to miss until now. Yeah.

Saturday morning, I slapped a roast and some potatoes and carrots into the ol' crockpot. 8 hours or so later, I dug in. Tasty. An hour after that, I wondered if maybe I'd eaten too much because it sat on my stomach like a rock. By the time I went to bed, I began to wonder if something was wrong, and I was hoping to sleep whatever it was off.

I couldn't sleep. Couldn't find a comfortable position, and pretty soon, my stomach began to actually hurt. Soon after that, I began to feel like I'd puke. By 2:00 in the morning, I was thinking it might not be a bad idea.

Well, I got my half-ass wish and then some. I puked every twenty minutes or so until 6:00, when I finally called my dad and told him I might have food poisoning. Bless his heart, but Dad drove 2 hours to get here and take me to the emergency room. I kept puking until just before he got here, and I mostly only stopped puking because I quit trying to sip water after each degorging. by about 8:00, the puking part was over.

Then, the other disgusting part began. Joy.

Anyway, by the time I got to the hospital, my back and stomach hurt from all the retching, my temperature was down to 95, my heart rate was up around 112, and my blood pressure was all sorts of messed up -- the top number way up, the bottom number way down. I've never had a problem with high blood pressure, so that was a real problem with me. And I was shivering. Couldn't seem to get warm, even tucked inside a sweatshirt and my 30-below Chiefs parka.

They put me on IV fluids -- never had to have an IV before, but the nurse did great and it didn't hurt at all, though my whole arm went so cold from the influx that my hand turned blue, heheh -- and put some phenergan in to calm the nausea. A side effect was that, while I still shivered pretty much constantly, I did start to get sleepy. I did hear the doctor say that he wouldn't rule out stomach flu, even though I didn't have a temperature, because without a stool sample (which I didn't have the heart to provide), they likely wouldn't be able to pin down any bacterial source. That became important later.

But nicely enough, I did feel a little better after 2 bags of IV fluids, so Dad took me home and filled a prescription for me, then tucked me into bed because the phenergan and no sleep the night before had really knocked me out. By noon, I was asleep, and anyone who knows me knows how rare that is. I stayed in bed, though I heard a lot of what went on -- Dad left once and came back, then watched TV and washed dishes, for heaven's sake -- until about 5:30, when he came in and said he needed to go. I hadn't expected him to stay nearly as long, so I thanked him as profusely as I could and got out of bed to hug him before he left (and because I feared I'd never sleep that night if I didn't get up now). He said I felt hot.

Great. I told him it was probably just because I'd been asleep.

So, I watched TV for a little while. I started to feel a little feverish myself, so I hunted up my old thermometer and took my temperature. 102. Juuuuust great. The doctor was right after all. Stomach flu. Don't get me wrong; you can have a temperature, even a high one, with food poisoning. But I don't think so on this one. It was really too quick and violent, somehow. I dunno. Maybe there was something wrong with the roast. Either way, it's in the trash.

Luckily, though, the doctor had written an excuse from work note for 1-3 days, so I called up my supervisor and told her what was going on. She immediately said, "We don't want it! Stay home at least tomorrow and we'll see day by day after that." Bless her heart, too.

Anyway, fast forward. I feel better today. The temp's only 99.5 at the moment, and I can handle a low-grade temp easy. My stomach seems to have settled a little, so I'm gonna try some chicken soup shortly, since I haven't eaten in about 40 hours. Dad supplied a bunch of Gatorade, so I shouldn't have to worry about dehydrating again.

Oh, and my back doesn't hurt so bad, either. Woot!

So, yeah, I think I'll survive. I'll probably even go to work tomorrow because I'm a glutton for punishment like that. So long as my temp stays down, I can play like I don't have one at all, so all shall be well.

I hope no one else gets this, though, because 6 straight hours of puking sucks big hairy donkey balls.

2 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Blogger Pesh said...

Poor Geeb! Tell Rotto to keep those big hairy donkey balls away from you. Bwahahaha!

Anyhoo, get to feeling better woman! Now, dammit!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Oh, Sis, I'm so glad Dad could come down and help you to the emergency room!! Hugs. I know you hate to be sick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home