Monday, January 01, 2007

My Dearest Charles:

Okay, first things first:

CHIEFS ARE IN THE PLAY-OFFS!

*dances until she passes out*

Okay, now that that's over....

So I had a great but busy weekend. I have slept in a child's bunk bed, in a cushy queen-sized bed with a foot-and-a-half-thick mattress, and on a couch this weekend. Didn't plan on the couch one, but we were having so much fun, I just couldn't leave.

First, I drove to my beloved sister's house Friday evening. That's where I crashed on my niece's bottom bunk. Twin-sized. Surprisingly, I was pretty darn comfortable, though the mattress was a little...firm. We had capuccino. It was very tasty. And for breakfast, I got to try her steel-cut oats, which were heavenly with some dried berries and honey. Great stuff, there.

Then, I rode with her -- poor Sis, but she hates to drive, especially in the city -- to Mom's house for "Christmas" Saturday. We had a good time with family, and my brother made the announcement that, just a few months after his divorce was final, he's engaged to another (lovely and seemingly un-crazy) woman and will be a Daddy again in July.

O.o

Moving on. Food was great. I ate too much of it. We opened presents, and I got exactly what I wanted -- some of Mom's infamous peanut brittle. Woot! Then I rode back with Sis, watched part of a movie, had some more capuccino and some Casey's pizza, then drove back to Mom's, where I stayed Saturday night in the thick-huge mattress. Slept like a log, which is weird because I usually don't sleep like a log on that mattress. Bizarro, but entirely welcome.

Then, I drove to my best friend's house in the old home town. Bless Kristi's heart, but she talked me into staying the night, though I hadn't planned to. We were just having so much fun! Her twins -- two years old, if you believe it! -- were adorable and imminently huggable, and once they went to bed, the fun really started. Yup, us old fogies didn't need any alcohol to live it up on a chilly, rainy New Year's Eve.

If the saying that whatever you do on New Year's is what you'll be doing the rest of the year is true, then I'm sitting pretty. I was watching kung fu movies, playing cards, laughing my butt off with friends, and delirious over the Chiefs getting back into the play-offs after how many years. Woot!

Now that's a good way to spend a whole year. Woot!

So, I conked out on the couch to grab a few hours' sleep and then hoofed it back home this morning. Just sat down for the first time since I got home. Whew!

Geeb is one tired little monkey. Oi.

But she's also a happy monkey. I had a great New Year's/Christmas. I saw most of my important people. I played cards and shot the shi...errr...talked with friends and family. I ate good food and hugged precious little ones and watched kung fu.

I mean, really. What more is there to life?

Oh! I know! The Chiefs are in the play-offs! The Chiefs are in the play-offs! Woooot!

7 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Thank you so much again for coming along as my co-pilot!!! The Chiefs, can you believe it? We watched the San Francisco game on pins and needles last night. We always root for the Donkeys to lose, but of course last night had even more weight! Woo-hoo!!!!!

If we do all year what we do on New Years, then I'll be doing dishes and laundry. And fixing my computer (which is back up!). Some time today I WILL be writing.

 
At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bigger 'Niner's fan there never was,
As Gutterball cheered them knocking the Broncos to the ground.
But, alas, unless LJ can really step up against a weak Colts running D,
I fear they will go down in the first round -but not history. -JTC

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

You're totally jealous, aren't you, JTC?

And yes, I'm hoping LJ puts the hurt on some post-season rushing records, thanks to Indy's porous run defense, but I'm not counting on it. I'm seriously just thrilled that they're in the play-offs again. I figured this would be an 8-8 year and lucky to have that.

That my boys finished one game ahead made me happy. That they're in the posts? Thrilled. And I keep in mind that it was Indianapolis who knocked us out of the play-offs in the first game the last time we were here. So, I'm not putting my life's happiness there.

...

But it'd be WAY cool if we won! Woot!

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Herm is one of the classiest men in the game. He deserves a championship. For that reason (and AFC West loyalty) I'll be pullin' for the Chiefs. -JTC

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

O.o

Who are you and what have you done with JTC??

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is in mourning for the sad state of the greatest franchise in sports. Miss Snark doesn't have a monopoly on the gin pail. -JTC

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

*debates quibbling with that "greatest" part...passes*

Poor you. I admit that even I am not so cruel as to revel in a 2-14 season, even for the reviled enemies. It's kinda pitiful, but I keep in the back of my mind the possibility that it might happen to my beloved Chiefs some day, so I can't bring myself to point and laugh too hard.

After all, karma's a bitch.

Thus, we Chiefs fans welcome you with open arms. We need aaaalll the help we can get against the Colts. Trust me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home