Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dear Charlie:

If I weren't the Ice Queen, I'd be crying right now.

See, my Mom -- who's only been to my house once in the 5 years I've owned it -- called out of the blue last night and said, "Hey, me and the hubby are coming down tomorrow. We'll bring the steamer to get that wallpaper you hate off your dining room walls."

O.o

Color me not only surprised but panicked. See, I'm a clutter hog. My mom...is not.

So, after working from 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM, I came home and cleaned house until 10:30 PM. My house isn't dirty, but cluttered. Mostly, it was just going through old mail and throwing away the crap -- of which there was a lot -- and finding places for notebooks, hair ties, novels, a softball, CDs, etc. By the time I was done, this place looked SWEET.

Unfortunately, removing all the wallpaper while I was at work today took the entire work day, so after I drove home in the snowstorm the local weather had the audacity to call a "light dusting", I got here just in time to see a brand new mess of little wet wallpaper bits in the carpet and all over the kitchen, buckets and plastic drapes wadded here and there, and all the furniture I'd finally cleared a path through strewn all over hell and back.

*sigh*

Admittedly, they did have good reason for leaving it where they'd shoved it to get it out of the way. It's pointless to move it back until the walls are actually painted (because while the inimitable Biff -- the guy I bought the house from -- put up dry wall in the living room, he never made it into the dining room, so it's still plaster). They'd thought they would have time to paint before I got home (or if there hadn't been a, you know, snowstorm), but that just didn't work out. They have to drive back home, a good 2 hour trip.

So, while I'm eternally grateful that I didn't have to deal with the blotches of four-layer-thick patches under the current layer of wallpaper, I'm kinda staring around in shock at the hullaballoo.

I did, however, vacuum the carpet and sweep the kitchen floor and find places for some of the more in-the-way furniture, and I have my laptop up and running, so I shouldn't complain. Again, I don't think anyone can imagine what they went through trying to get that crap off the walls. I'd had enough after the living room, and at least there was dry wall under that. But in here? Hell no. I was content to wait an eternity.

Hopefully, they'll be able to finish up either Friday or Sunday, though. I'll be getting off work early Friday, so I should actually be able to help then. And I'll hopefully be back from the brother's wedding weekend (since I'm staying at Mom's anyway) Sunday. I think it'll all work out. And it'll look GREAT when it's done.

Ugh. The wallpaper was just...disgusting. Powder blue with that faux-striped "waterfall" design. Guh. Just...tasteless. I can't believe they actually sold that crap at some point -- apparently in 1985, if the notation from the inimitable Biff on the plaster by the light fixture is any indication.

That idiot.

>.<

3 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

What on earth possessed them to do this NOW? And then leave you with the mess? Hugs, Sis. I wish I lived closer--I'd come help!

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Pesh said...

Poor Geeb.

*snickers*

Your mail pile...

You must be beyond exhausted.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

I wish so, too, Sis! Heck, I wish I had the paint myself so I could just get it done, but they're bringing it Monday.

Pesh, not cool. *shakes head* Evil woman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home