Thursday, January 04, 2007

Dear Charlie:

I think I'm a little weirded out.

See, my brother is staying with me for a bit while he works a construction job just over the state line. He gets a metric ass-load of money to work out of state, and since he's staying with me, he can pocket that over and above the metric ass-load they're paying him per hour. He's making out like a bandit, but to his credit, he's sharing.

So, we go out to eat tonight at...you guessed it...my favorite place...the Japanese steak house. We're eating and admiring the hibachi chef's style and chowing on steak and scallops (though the adored brother had shrimp and scallops) when one of the waitresses -- not ours -- came over, crouched down between us, and whispered to me.

"I'm sorry. I hate to interrupt, but I just wanted to tell you that me and the girls have been talking about you. I saw you in here a little while back and noticed then, but I didn't want to say anything by myself."

Now, right about here, I start thinking something along the lines of What the shit? but I don't say anything. I'm pretty sure I was blushing, though. Wondering if maybe I have a "kick me" sign on my back...permanently. Something on my shoe? Something permanently imbedded in the back of my head?

Anyway: "But we were talking again tonight, and we just wanted to tell you that we think you have the most beautiful hair!"

*facepalm*

I nearly fell out of the chair. What the heck? It's not even really fixed -- just pulled up into a messy bun. I don't understand. But, I guess whatever floats their boat.

And my brother, angel that he is, just snickered at me and my blushing and stammering "thank you"s. Asshole. He also said, and I quote, "She's probably a ditch diver". So sensitive, Brother Mine. And so very PC.

But he did pay the check, so I can't complain too much.

Asshole.

4 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say post a pic and let us be the judge but you'd think I'm just some kind of freak (I'm not) or dirty old man (I'm not), or Broncos fan (I'm definitely NOT). Anyway, I'm sure you should take the compliment as just that and accept the fact that you (must) have beautiful hair. Even if it did come from a muff muncher. -JTC

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Sis, you DO have beautiful hair. The perfect amount of curl and long, always what I wanted. The only change I personally would make would be to make it Aunt Kas's beautiful red! I do love your hair. Teeny bit of gray and all. :-)

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

You two are weird.

JTC, I would never call you a Broncos fan. Even I'm not that heartless, and I don't have a heart. And I don't have beautiful hair. I mean, it's all right, but not what I'd consider comment-worthy from a total stranger at a restaurant.

Sis, pssh! A teeny bit of grey? Whatever! If I didn't cover with as close to my natural color as I can find, I'd be skunk-headed. Luckily, #4 dark brown works juuuust fine.

It would be cool to have Aunt Kas's red, though. Man, did I always love her hair!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Oh, and NO chance of a picture. When I die, I want there to be no photographic evidence that I ever lived. I want to be a folk tale. No! An urban legend! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Hell, I'd even settle for being a cautionary tale....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home