Sunday, December 17, 2006

Dear Charlie:

Due to two losses -- two stunning and incomprehensible losses -- in two weeks by my beloved Chiefs, I have decided to yet again take one for the team. Yes, you guessed it.

I put up my Christmas tree.

You see, it's a special Christmas tree. It's good luck. Usually. It's a simple, fake, 3 ft. tree, and I only use white lights, gold rope for tinsel, red ornaments, and a very simple gold-wire angel for the top. It's the Chiefs Christmas tree.

And it usually works. There are notable exceptions.

Last year, before that lovely head-on drive during which they won all of their last games, I made the mistake of jumping the gun. I put up the tree when they were still winning. I put it up before taking a trip to the hometown, and they lost. Panicked, I drove all the way back here and took it down less than 24 hours later. They won the last five games of the season (or was it four?).

But other than that, it's usually really good luck for me to put that darn tree up in December. We'll see this evening. If my beloved ones lose tonight, I'll take it right back down again.

Don't get me wrong; it's a lovely tree. Its simplicity is actually kind of nostalgic. But I don't do Christmas or its trappings. It's one day, folks. It's not three months.

I'm good for one day. Not so much for the rest of the season. I think it's stupid. All right for children, I guess, but even adults get all gung-ho about the 100-odd days of Christmas. Meh.

5 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Pesh said...

Heh, I spotted a Chiefs stocking at Wally World that would be perfect for storing your coal.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Ummm, so did you take the tree down already? Stupid Chefs.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Pesh, you're evil. Even stockings full of coal smack too much of merriness for this grinch.

And Sis? Nope. Haven't had time. I'll take it down shortly, though. It ain't THAT purty. 'Specially when it doesn't help so much as a particle. Dammit.

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here come the Silver and Black. Bwa ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa. -YouKnowWho

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

>.<

Evil monkey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home