Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Dear Charlie:

Even with an hour scrapped to watch an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent that actually did have Vincent D'Onofrio in it, I still managed 1600 words tonight. Not too shabby with the tough spot I'm in. I'll take that word count with a big ol' grin.

But before I head to bed, I have a terrible, shameful confession to make. I've been stewing how to write a particular movie review all week. I want to. It's a great movie -- one of my all-time favorites, and I don't say that lightly because I truly enjoy so many movies.

But I didn't know how to write about it without admitting to one little detail of which I am mortally ashamed.

*deep breath*

It makes me cry. Every damn time.

*waits for the repercussions*

Yes, I know. The Ice Queen who didn't cry when she sprained her wrist so badly the doctor said it would have been better if she'd just broken the damn thing. The Heartless Wonder. She of no Girliness.

Crying.

Perhaps the movie itself will redeem my illustriously tear-free image, though. You see, when I took part of Saturday off to watch a movie, I watched The Iron Giant.

Yeah. Superman. Gets me every. Damn. TIME.

So, in the course of my wits a-wandering, I finally realized that perhaps the best praise I could give this flick is that its characters -- especially the Giant himself, voiced by the infinitely talented...*glares at nay-sayers*...Vin Diesel -- are so heart-catching that they touch even the Untouchable.

My hat's off to the original author and to the movie adaptors. Y'all done good. And two hats off to Mr. Diesel, whose "Souls...don't...die...." may be one of my ten favorite lines when taken in context.

Plus, it's way cool how they did matte paintings for the backgrounds and a '50s style animation for the human characters but used CGI for the Giant himself. All to make him otherworldly, out of place. It works. Many, many props.

4 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

I still haven't seen this yet. Next time you come up, bring it. Then I'll get two shows. *g*

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Although I love the movies of Hayao Miyazaki as a whole, I would put Iron Giant on the top of my list of favorite animated movies .. it is indeed just a timeless story very well told

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll also add my props about The Iron Giant It's a great movie. It's been awhile since I last saw the movie but it's well done and deserved a bigger audience than I think it actually got.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Amen, Reel Fanatic and Anna. Fantastic movie. Very few better, and none that can consistently touch the moldered remains of what used to be my human heart.

And Sis? I'll definitely bring it down the next time I come. I can't wait!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home