Friday, October 13, 2006

Amusing Sidebar:

While typing merrily on my book and waiting for The Guy to show up -- bless his heart, but I'm not the only person whose heater bunked on the first cold day/night of the season -- I see the cat, Gabriel, outside the window.

Remember: this is not my cat. This is the cat. I like him. I feed him. But he is Dave's cat, though Dave doesn't live here anymore. Just want to clear that up.

Anyway, Gabe is stalking something in the grass outside. There are few things as impressive as a stalking cat. It's like watching slo-mo in real time. They creeeeeeep forward, no extraneous or jerky movements, their eyes fixed on their prey until...SPROING! They pounce.

So I'm watching the cat, wondering what on earth he's stalking because I can't see a damn thing, right? He's creeeeeping forward, one tiny step at a time. I've seen this animal take down a hummingbird -- no mean feat! -- so I know he will catch whatever it is, but I simply can't see it. Creeeeeep. Creeeep.

Then...SPROING!

And another SPROING! as the grasshopper jumps away. And Gabe leaps after it, front paws batting at the grass, his little mouth a gaping maw of fierce teeth that don't quite bite. Then SPROING!SPROING! as they both pounce away again.

Playing. Gabe -- bird-and-squirrel murderer extraordinaire -- is playing with a grasshopper. I mean, I doubt the grasshopper sees it that way, but it's still cute to watch.

When he finally breaks down and captures his prey and eats it, I grin and go outside with some food. He wants belly rubs for his show. He demands belly rubs without uttering a single word.

He simply drops over on his side and stares up at me. "Rub my belly, human," those eyes say. "And be quick about it."

If I don't immediately comply, he gives me Teh Evol Look of Death. Needless to say, I comply immediately. Besides, he's earned a few belly rubs with the show he's put on for me.

No, I'm not a softie. I'm just cold and bundled up in a sweatshirt with another shirt under it and writing up a storm and needing a distraction, since The Guy isn't providing one by showing up to fix my poor heater.

Oh! Luckily, the unit is new, so whatever's wrong should be under warranty. Still gotta pay labor, of course...*scowls*...but hopefully not for parts. I only hope that it's actually something on the unit, rather than something like the tubing being loose or something. Ironic, ne?

Gah! Where's The Guy??

5 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh, huh-huh. You said unit and tubing in the same sentence. Huh-huh.

Seriously. I like to watch cats, but I can't stand to be around them. They shed (sp?) too much. -JTC

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger GutterBall said...

I submit that it was entirely intentional. It was. I swear.

Meh, I'm more of a dog person. I'd have a dog if I trusted the neighborhood kids a little more or had a fence. I have a pretty big yard, so I could get a big dog, but I would really like to protect him from the world. Or just the neighborhood brats.

But cats are fun to watch and require no fencing or protection. You wanna beat the cat with a stick? Go right ahead and see if you can remove his claws from your vulnerable bits. More power to ya.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Devgel Zo said...

Ah, lucky Americans. Very, very few houses in SA don't have fences. Its actually really sad that we have to hide the way we do...

*hugs her country*

Ice queen, MY ASS.

*runs out of reach*

We saw you, playing with that there kitty! So much for your reputation...

*snickers and goes off to write Geburah into horribly compromising situation*

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

TOO LATE.

>.<

Must I remind you of that last travesty you wrote my alter-ego into?? MOMMY-HOOD! Foul fiend!

Oh, and the cat is kinda cute. He's just not MINE.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Devgel Zo said...

Gaki is the Cuteness.

Besides, you know that you can dip your pen into the ink of the Devgel-verse...but I don't much will faze my alter-egos. Bwahaha!

See, that's the problem with being an Ice Queen...one slip and its all gone.

*runs even further out of the way*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home