Sunday, September 03, 2006

Marvelous Sidebar:

Barbara is a fade-away Every Woman. David is a paid sex god. She has no confidence in her ability to attract a man's attention enough for satisfying sex. He has no doubt in his ability to make any woman come until she cries. She has fantasies of being carelessly sexy with a modern-day Gregory Peck cowboy. He has...the crappiest Western drawl in the known world.

But somehow, they meet in the same place at the same time with the same goal -- a good, solid fuck.

The true beauty of Anna Black's "The Cowboy and the Schoolmarm" is its simplicity. The set-up is pristine -- a loveless woman nearing middle age has suffered a very short string of unsatisfactory sexual experiences, so she hires a jigolo to give her one good fantasy to live with. Straight to the point.

That's where it gets fun.

David is good-natured and cocksure -- no pun intended. Barbara is increasingly sure that this is a mistake. Witty banter ensues. Yes, humor -- the ultimate aphrodisiac, at least in my humble opinion.

But the sex that almost miraculously happens is anything but funny. Both get far more than she paid for. Heh.

Anyway, I don't read much erotica, but I've long since read anything the lovely and talented Anna Black writes. Why? Because unlike 98% of the erotica on the market, hers has heart. I care about her characters. I believe in their situations. They are real. I want them to get jiggy with it, of course -- that's the whole point of erotica, after all -- but I want them to be happy with it, too. That whole "having the cake and eating it" thing...both for them and for me.

So yes, even if you only buy the anthology for Anna's fabulous story, you'll get your money's worth. I only read one other story in there. It was a good read, too, of course, but Anna's was better. I'd bet dollars to pesos that it's the best in the whole book.

And I'd win.

Anna, my dear, ya done gone and did good.

If you don't believe me, check out Sis's review. She says it all, man.

5 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Woo-hoo! I totally agree!

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Anna Black (Diana) said...

Thank you, Molly!

Seriously, I'm so touched by what you've said about my little story that I'm helplessly incoherent.

As I said on Joely's blog I'm so lucky to have the two of you as my Companions on the Journey.

And I'm so glad you liked the story. And what more can any writer ask? Because that's why we do this, isn't it? Suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune as we struggle to get our words on paper between jobs, children, and the Real World constantly demanding that we pay homage to it instead of to our Muse.

Thanks for sharing the Journey with me, Molly-Gal. Thanks so much!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

Always a pleasure, adored Lizard Queen. Always a pleasure.

*bows*

And I truly have never found sweeter erotica than yours. You give me inspiration. Every day, whether you know it or not.

*winks* And I still have that lovely bit of Riddick literature that you so thoughtfully wrote back in the day. I read it every now and then, and it never fails to put a smile on my face!

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Devgel Zo said...

It takes a lot to impress Geebers, so well damn done to Anna Black! Hope that someday I'll get a chance to peek at the genius.

And the Real World has kidnapped my muses and I'd like them back. Writers block like nothing else and I have to post to the Dojo Heroes RPG.

Dammit. >.<

Sigh. This craft is a cruel mistress, but we live for her benficience and occasional pat on the head.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Anna Black (Diana) said...

Ah, the Riddick vignette. I must take a look at that someday. I had promised to write a sequel to it, hadn't I? *wink*

Thanks, Devegel Zo! I do wish I were a genius. Maybe I wouldn't be so poor. LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home