Saturday, July 01, 2006

Dear Charlie:

Well, hell.

I haven't blogged anything for the last few days, but this was an intentional choice, not a forgetful omission on my part. *sigh* You see, I had a relapse in the poison ivy department, and I just...didn't have the heart to blog about it. This last bout has kinda taken the umph right out of me.

Frustrating as hell.

I woke up Thursday morning with my eyes swollen, my cheeks, jaw, and neck swollen and red and burny-itchy, and all of the other little splatters and streaks of poison ivy all over my body on fire. My jaw ached a bit from getting the ol' wisdom tooth yanked, and to be honest, that was probably part of the swelling, but...the poison ivy was infinitely worse.

I can only assume it's because I had finished up my steroids the day before. I've tried and tried to think of anything else I could be allergic to -- perhaps the penicillin the dentist put me on, for example. But I can't think of another thing that's different, so....

Anyway, I went ahead and drove to work, only to have my office manager fuss over me and tell me to go home because I just looked miserable. To tell the truth, I was miserable, and so much so that I actually cried. In public, though only the office manager saw it. Well, and Adrienne, who drove up just as I finally left and asked where I was going.

Guh. I HATE crying. Especially when other people can see it.

I was just so tired. Physically and mentally. These last two weeks have been...trying, to say the least. And I was just tired.

Anyway, after a good argument -- because I have a crapload of stuff to do at work right now, what with this huge annual audit coming up -- I eventually went home and called my doctor, leaving a message as they don't usually get in until around 9:00 and it was barely even 8:00 by this time. I called back at about 9:30 and was told that the doctor had prescribed another round of steroids that I could pick up at the pharmacy of my choice.

Dammit.

Juuuuuust what I wanted. More steroids. Yay, basketcase time again! Joy and rapture!

*facepalm*

He also prescribed Aveeno colloidal oatmeal baths and lots of rest, since this time around seems to have just wiped me out. I had planned to go back to work and not miss another full day, but I was overruled. He wanted me to soak in the Aveeno stuff for at least an hour.

Dammit. At least I got to read and listen to music while I pruned.

I dunno if it actually helped or not, but the hydrocortisone cream I picked up while I picked up the hated steroids certainly tamed a bit of the burny-itchy thing. Different kind of itch this time around.

But, after all of this, the good news is...*darts a quick glance around to make sure the Fates aren't listening*...*whispers*...I think some of the rashy places are finally starting to dry out.

*heaves a sigh of relief*

No, the itch isn't gone. No, not all of the rashy places are clearing up. But some of them are, and that's infinitely better than none of them, ne?

*crosses fingers*

And while this is officially Day 3 of basketcase-ness and I have been banned from mowing the lawn until the poison ivy is completely gone, I'm gonna bake a crapload of bread today, grill some pork-kebabs and veggies later, and probably tackle the dining room. Tomorrow? I dunno. Maybe buy some fireworks and blow some stuff up.

Woot!

And speaking of the illustrious Fourth, I do have to work Monday, but there's only one provider who only has two clients coming in -- both after 5:00, go figure -- so that's...interesting. So I don't get a four-day weekend, but I get a day off in the middle of the week to just chill, and that's almost as good.

So long as I'm not taking off for being ill! Gah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home