Saturday, February 18, 2006

Dear Charlie:

Well, that's that.

Dave has officially moved out. My house is my own for the first time in damn near three years. My own cable internet is set up and running -- thank God! -- and my guest room is empty.

Who knew he had that much stuff??

At any rate, a time of change is upon me. Great change. My first thought upon seeing that empty room -- the walls bare of their DBZ scrolls, the floor still bearing the imprint of Hollywood frame wheels, my pathetic stock of storage tubs huddling pitifully in the corner -- was that I really need to gut my home.

Yeah. I'm kind of a packrat.

Now, I've been in the process of doing this for...well...three years. I've put stuff for a yard sale in several sealed tubs. I've kept stuff I intend to sell or give away in sealed boxes.

I haven't even unpacked everything I moved here in 2001. Sheesh.

But I need to just kinda gut the place. Everything must go. And God, please, get rid of some of the dust! This house just COLLECTS it!

I need to get rid of some of this shit. Seriously.

However, I realized one bright and shiny thing: I don't need NEARLY as big a set of shelves for my movies as I thought! With Dave's massive collection gone, mine's only HALF the size!

*facepalms*

Note to self: get some friggin' shelves.

And that's just for MOVIES. God only knows how I'll house all my BOOKS. I have a whole tub full of them...and at least one box full that I never even unpacked when I moved here.

I'm a book-aholic. Addicted to the written word.

So, helping someone else pack up and move in a day makes me really want to have all of my stuff accessible for the first time since...gosh, since I left the ex. Hell, maybe even since I moved to this town/city in the first place.

So, yes, a time of great change. I get to be me again -- the me I am when I'm alone, which is subtly different from the me I am when someone else, anyone else is around. 'Course, as often as I have company, I don't guess I have to completely nix that "people" person.

'S a good thing I like both me versions, ne? It's kinda handy to have them both around.

2 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Yay for cable! I bet the peace and quiet in the house will be strange for awhile--not that Dave was annoying or anything but just that silence of only yourself. Man, I would love a few hours of that. Then I'd miss everybody, of course.

Hey, I'm SERIOUS about having a yardsale this spring. If I can get my fanny in gear, maybe even in March. Would that work for you?

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger GutterBall said...

You bet your sweet bippy. I wanna get RID of stuff. I am SUCH a packrat.

I just spent two hours -- TWO HOURS -- cleaning my bathroom. Mostly dust and clothing lint. It just covers EVERYTHING.

And I made a revelation through one of my characters a while back that the fewer trinkets you have, the less stuff you have to DUST. I am SO taking that to heart.

I mean, it's just me. Why do I need a bunch of crap?? I'm so not the decorate-y type, so why hold on to this stuff?

So, I'll be packing stuff up to sell and just flat trashing a bunch of other stuff. I'm tired of dust. When you literally have to SWEEP your WALLS because of all the fluff sticking to them....

*shakes head*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home